A circle has too much symmetry

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Bring in the tears

Oh my GOD! I have not screwed up so much at work in my entire life! I was sitting quietly training my magnet. For those of you who don’t know a superconducting magnet that has been exposed to room temperature needs to slowly be brought up to high fields. All of sudden POP! HISS!! A Huge cloud of helium gas starts filling the room. Yup my magnet quenched, which happens from time to time at huge fields with a 30 year old magnet, but what makes this quench even more spectacular is that I did not remove a magnetic beam stop from the high field area. It went flying across the room and smashed into my magnet. Yup I didn’t quench the thing, I totally fucked it up. TOTALLY!!! There is broken glass from the window; still huge amounts of Nitrogen blowing in the room and my very fragile, very expensive quantum dot samples were blow right out of the room. The beam stop is twisted too. I am still in such a state of shock, but I am going to start crying any minute. I know there are no tears in physics, hell there aren’t any women in physics either. I can’t imagine what my co-workers are going to think when I start crying, oh I think the tears are here.

7 Comments:

  • Aw, I'm sorry your frustrated. In the famous words of Scarlet O'Hara, remember "tomorrow is anothah day".

    By Blogger Michelle, at 8:29 PM  

  • I just want to run away. I am depressed beyond belief!

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 9:46 AM  

  • At least you are okay. From the way you describe it, you could have really been hurt if you had been in its trajectory.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:42 AM  

  • The real danger is from suffocation, when all that helium gas fills the room. And yes the projectile could be dangerous too.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 11:45 AM  

  • Are you feeling better today?

    By Blogger Michelle, at 12:10 PM  

  • I little, I have talked with the manufactures and I think I will be able to repair it with minimal cost.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 1:02 PM  

  • That's good. Think serendipitous.

    By Blogger Michelle, at 4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home