A circle has too much symmetry

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Global Happy Hour

I am going global, not that I was not already but truly global this time. Let me explain; when I first arrived in DC I did not know anyone. I work at a huge place and thought I would naturally make my friends among my new co-workers. I know I have said they are all geeks, but there is usually a few gems hiding in there. For example, at my last job, which was full of geeks too, I found some great gems (Ellen, Dead Body, BAW 1). However this was not the case in DC, I was totally isolated, there was no social structure to my work place, I mean nothing. I ended up organizing a monthly happy hour for me and my co-workers, to network, socialize and just to do something non-work related. Initially I invited everyone I knew and their friends too, but as time progressed and the happy hours grew I started to get a little more selective. Ms. Chung and I are frequently talking about who is on the list or off depending on how much they annoy us. Where is the going global part? I just received this notice from the director’s office that they are adding this link to the company webpage.

Monthly Happy Hour. Contact:Spin_Doc1,notmyrealemail@yahoo.com; 404-****

Can you believe it! I have lost list control and I am going global. I would like to say that I am no longer hosting happy hours but with the directors attention I can not do that. I wonder what kind of freaks are going to attend the next happy hour. I am already overwhelmed with Geek-boy, Shannon and Humming woman!

2 Comments:

  • so, how many more people have been added to the list? everyone at the lab?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:39 PM  

  • Not me obviously, so it can't really be global... sorry :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home