A circle has too much symmetry

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Time to Grow Up?

There are times in my life that I feel like I should grow up. This is one of those times. However I am not sure what growing up means. I have grown up things in my life, a job, a house, retirement investments, savings, vehicles, etc. The only grown up thing I don’t have in my life is a child. However I know that having a child does not define a grown up. So what exactly does define a grown up?

I still have a strong desire to go out on Friday night with my friends and tie one on (so to speak). Is growing up no longer wanting to party on the weekend? However as I am getting older I am finding that my friends who want to go out with me are getting younger as I am getting older. Most my friends my age, have settled down. I can’t help but feel that I am getting too old for my lifestyle, especially when I am the oldest one in the group. I guess this comes from moving to a new area where everyone my age has a family and I feel like I am not doing life right. In spite of the new area, all my friends in DC were looking to settle down, even if they had not done it yet.

I wonder what are the benefits to growing up? It seems like a lot of work and awful boring to be a grown up. I still enjoy having a bag of popcorn for dinner and not cooking a thing. I don’t think eating popcorn for dinner is a very grown up thing to do. It seems to me that something that I don’t quite have defines a grown up, and perhaps it is time for me to get it and grow up.

7 Comments:

  • I'm much older than you and I am still not grown up.

    By Blogger i used to be me, at 5:35 PM  

  • Spinner, I so hear you.....I SO hear you.

    By Blogger Joy, at 5:46 PM  

  • Genius,
    You have a family and probably do grown up things.

    Joy,
    I am calling it my tri-life crisis.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 6:21 PM  

  • Maybe so but I did do one very ungrown up thing lately that I'm not particularly proud of. And sometimes I eat popcorn instead of cooking. :P

    By Blogger i used to be me, at 7:06 PM  

  • There's absolutely no reason to try to grow up.

    Growing up means growing old.

    I never, ever go around quoting others, but this is one of the best lines I've ever heard on the subject:

    "What makes you grow old is replacing hope with regret"

    --Steven Bruton, "Too Many Memories" recorded by Hal Ketchum

    (One of the finest recordings ever. This is coming from a knucklehead musician who never ever listens to lyrics.)

    By Blogger Nashville Knucklehead, at 8:45 PM  

  • I'm proof that's it's possible to be responsible, but still choose to not be completely grown up.

    I didn't have my son until I was 32, and whilst I make sure he's looked after properly, we still do lots of pretty ungrown-up things together. In fact on Mother's Day we had pancakes for lunch and dinner, ran around in the park, jumped on the trampoline, played music too loud, and watched kids' DVDs. All the other kids tell my son that they want me to be their Mum too.

    I can't prevent myself from growing older, but I can refuse to grow boring. I still party hard when I get the chance, and I have no intention of slowing down until my body physically prevents me from doing what I want to do.

    Enjoy yourself, Spin, this is the time of your life!

    By Blogger Imelda, at 8:20 AM  

  • Nashville,

    That is so true, I need to replace regret with hope and understand I still have time to do all that I want to.

    Imelda,

    I wish you were my mom!

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home