A circle has too much symmetry

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Cubicle

I finally have my office and I am no longer tickled pink about my job. I have a cubicle! I have never had a cubicle before; even in all my years as a graduate student I had an actual office. Sure I have always had to share an office before and granted my office mate drove me crazy from time to time, but a cubicle? Now everyone can know the topic of my phone conversations, what I am working on, the whole nine yards. This is not good. I have already complained. Complaints my first week of work is probably not the best idea, but I am not concerned with getting fired. If I am fired I am sure that I am released from my contract and then I can return to DC.

For the most part I have been too busy at work to think about DC, but when I leave at night the longing sets in. I long for my old crappy condo, where I knew where everything was even in the dark. I long to play football and hockey, even though I have plans to join a basketball team out here. I long for my Sara nights and trying a new area restaurant every week. I long for all the things to do on any given night in the district. Oh did I mention I really miss the Internet??? I won’t have access at home for another week at best. There are other things I long for to but I am trying not to focus on them….

6 Comments:

  • Next thing you know you'll read Dilbert and think "dude, this is me!"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:56 PM  

  • I know!! Can you believe it.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 4:57 PM  

  • It'll get better

    By Blogger i used to be me, at 6:55 PM  

  • Welcome to my world, Spin. ;) As a social worker, you'd think that my agency would be aware of the sensitive nature of the cases that my coworkers and I deal with. But no.....phone conversations that I have with families and the like are pretty much aired out in public. It's especially wonderful when you have a foster mother yelling at you on the phone, telling you that you're crap. *sigh* But I digress.

    I hope things work out for you. *hugs*

    By Blogger Joy, at 10:51 PM  

  • Spin, welcome to the modern business world. I'm a Dept Head with a lot of responsibility and making excellent money, and yet I'm stuck in cubicle hell as well. This is my second job where even the most senior people sit out with all their staff. I've been told that it's the modern way of doing things. Pfffft.

    I had to go and buy ear-plugs last week so I could read an important document without hearing every conversation in a 10 metre radius. I've been told that you become acclimatised to the situation, but as yet I'm not sold on the concept. Welcome to my nightmare!

    By Blogger Imelda, at 7:48 AM  

  • Ladies,

    Some how knowing I am not alone in this does not make it better. I am giving 6 months to get used to it or change it.

    Spin Doc (Spinner)

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home