A circle has too much symmetry

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Myth Buster

I have been told about the email or phone call that alerts all men to new women in the workplace. I actually thought it was a myth. I could not imagine any adult man sending out an email, “Hey have you seen the new woman.” Today is a day for myth busters, I was working in another area this morning and I swear the call went out. The area I was working in is very remote and yet at least 40 different men found a reason to come over to this building this morning. Initially I did not observe the increased traffic until I became aware of a safety notice stating that only 6 people worked in that building.

After that I became suspicious and started to notice the behavior in the increased traffickers. Sure enough they would come in twos or threes, in the front door and stand there and try not to look like they were looking at me. When they had a sufficient viewing session they would leave. Most of them did not even try disguising what they were doing by pretending they actual had a reason to be in that building. It was truly amazing. I am not sure if it was flattering, but it was amazing.

I can’t help but wonder what was the call that brought them to view me and what was the commentary after said viewing. It can’t be all that flattering; I was wearing a lab coat and safety glasses. I do not look good in safety glasses.

7 Comments:

  • I bet you look awesome in safety glasses. And don't you think that after the first few guys showed up, that they would tell the rest not to bother if there wasn't something to see.

    I know, my deductions are breath taking, aren't they.

    BTW, I love the show Myth Busters.

    By Blogger Michelle, at 3:48 PM  

  • that's ingenious nnm!

    spinner,
    i'd have to agree with nnm. they obviously liked what they saw, therefore they had to spread the word around - the hottie rocket scientist that you are! :)

    By Blogger Joy, at 5:11 PM  

  • Naive and Joy,

    Now if you could just convert the entire planet, I would truly be a happy woman.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 6:03 PM  

  • Yeah, you're obviously hot. Otherwise, the email wouldn't have been sent, and your drooling slack-jawed idiot man traffic wouldn't have been that heavy.

    We truly turn into idiots at the mere prospect of just catching a glimpse of a pretty woman.

    A hottie rocket scientist. Be still my heart.

    By Blogger Nashville Knucklehead, at 7:04 PM  

  • Nashville,

    It probably the 5 to 1 ratio of men to women out here that makes me hot.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 9:39 AM  

  • Spin, I can't believe how much you have been walking in my shoes from 10 years ago. I had an almost identical experience when I first started working in a related industry with the same male:female demographics.

    In the next phase the attention will die down because you're no longer "new", but then it will ramp up again down track once you really start to assert yourself and do well in your job. This will bring out of the woodwork all the men who love intelligent, assertive, capable women. They will sit in meetings looking doe-eyed at you!

    Work it while you can, baby! Identify those most eager to adore you, and make the most of their assistance and support. This was very important for me, because I was the boss of the lot of them!

    By Blogger Imelda, at 9:46 PM  

  • Imelda,

    I am looking forward to stage 2!

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home