A circle has too much symmetry

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

5 things, past, future and today

The other night as I was struggling to find sleep my mind tumbled onto the following thoughts.

5 things I love about being adult

1. I never eat things I don’t like. I hated pork chops and applesauce as a child, which seems to be an American staple, and I have not had that meal since reaching adulthood.
2. I finally have the language to communicate my feelings, even if I don’t always do so, I no longer feel powerless in my ability to communicate with people.
3. I love going to bed at whatever time I want, and I love being able to sleep all day if I want.
4. I love having a car and being able to drive.
5. I love that I have an idea of who I am and who I want to be, almost everything in my life seemed to fall into place once I figured that out.


5 things I loved about being a child (when I was a child)

1. I loved playing with Barbie
2. I loved being the best at math in my grade. I was always able to finish my times tables first and I loved it. I loved the math competitions too, because I always won.
3. I loved when people told me how pretty I was, and I was pretty little girl. I especially loved when my mother would dress me up.
4. I loved making snow angles.
5. I loved playing Monopoly


5 things I loved about being a child, looking back with the values and experience of an adult

1. I loved being so skinny, I never once thought I was too fat or I needed to exercise more.
2. I love that my mother made me take 15 years of dance lessons; it gave me excellent posture, mind-body awareness, a healthy self-esteem and the ability to perform in public.
3. I love that my mother provided so many educational toys; eventually out of childhood boredom I played with all of them. I credit those toys with my ease in all things mathematical.
4. I love that I had such a wonderful man in my life as my grandfather.
5. I loved the ability to run and hide from life. I can no longer do that, because life will always be there when I return from my hiding place. I know this and no longer try to hide.


5 things I thought I would love about being an adult (when I was a child)

1. Money, I thought I would be able to buy whatever I wanted
2. Power, I thought no one would be able to boss me around when I was an adult, boy was I wrong about that one!
3. No longer having to go to school, I never in a million years thought I would do 10 years of post-high school education by choice
4. Glamour, I thought I would have a glamorous life, just like the people on television.
5. I thought everything would be easier when I was an adult, and I was right about that one. Everything is so much easier as an adult, I try to communicate that to my youngest brother but I am not sure he hears me.

5 things I think I will love about being even older than I am now. This one is the hardest one for me. I don’t want to even think about being older (in the physical sense). I also don’t think my core personality is going to change and I will still be dealing with the same shit only 10 years older.

1. I think I will love having my own personal assistant. A couple more steps on the corporate ladder and it will be there.
2. I think I will love having a corner office
3. I think I will love having a huge house; I am looking for property right now.
4. I think I will love traveling with my girlfriends, in a few years we will all have the money to take great vacations together.
5. I definitely look forward to being better at golf!

Feel free to copy this and fill it out for yourself, and let me know if you do!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home