A circle has too much symmetry

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Traffic Court

Today I went to traffic court to fight a speeding ticket. I was not speeding when I received this ticket. I was traveling at 5 mph below the speed limit when the officer pulled me over and at the time of the allege speeding. I know this because I was following my co-workers to a park and ride and was thinking to myself that they were being ridiculously cautious with regards to the speed limit. I tried to tell the officer all of this and he dismissed me. I choose to fight this ticket as is my right under the law and I failed miserably!

I had great arguments, including statistics and calculations all in support of my case. I was calm and logical the entire time (well almost the entire time). I had to miss over a $1000 dollars worth of work hours going to court 3 different times, and in the end the judge totally ignored my arguments and found me guilty AND increased my fine. I talked with my brother (who is a lawyer) and he can do that. The judge wanted to teach me a lesson and learn a lesson I did but perhaps not the lesson he wanted too.

I learned not to be nervous in front of a judge or a courtroom. I learned that judges are the ultimate authority, and do not deserve to be. I learned that appointing judges for life is a really bad idea. I learned that judges have made up their minds before even hearing the case. I learned that our justice system is seriously flawed.

Towards the middle of the trial I could tell I was not going to win, especially after I examined the police officer and he said he lost visual contact with me numerous times and there were other cars on the road that looked just like my car, and the judge told me my questions were pointless. At that moment I said to the judge, “I am DOCTOR Spin” It all went downhill from there. Finally, the judge said it couldn’t be proved you weren’t speeding with equations. I informed the judge that I could prove I wasn’t speeding and I taught at a University for 2 years and was more than qualified to give him a lesson. This was at the very end after he had already declared me guilty and increased my fine (doubled it!). He was so angry he declared a recess and stormed out, I am surprised he didn’t yell “Contempt of Court”. According to my brother, I avoided contempt because technically the trial was over and he was no longer judging and I didn’t actually call him stupid and bull headed….

I had already lost, I might was well have my pound of flesh too.

7 Comments:

  • I bet it was funny watching him storm out like a big baby. I'm sorry it didn't go your way. I guess it's a crime to make the judge look stupid.

    now I've got "I fought the law and the law won" going through my head.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:17 PM  

  • You are braver than I. I already know people who don't "know" me are guaranteed to hate me upon dealing with my inability to communicate without seeming like some monkey shut in who escaped her assisted living. That's why I always opt for traffic school.

    Even if you didn't win, I am still glad you fought it. I'm glad others do that. I think it's important.

    By Blogger ZooooM, at 2:06 AM  

  • Jenny,
    I wasn't disrespectful until I was sure I was going to lose.

    Zoom,
    I was good learning experience for me, I would fight one again in the future if it was in a different county.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 9:59 AM  

  • It sounds like he was having a bad day and took it out on you. It's a little scary that they have that power. Elected for life..bah!

    I'm glad you got a few words in edgewise at the end.

    By Blogger Spider Girl, at 10:43 AM  

  • Spider Girl,
    I have heard that is just the way he is and I was doomed before I even stepped into the courtroom. He was not elected, he was appointed.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 11:51 AM  

  • Don't even get me started on local justice. I could fill your blog with stories that I would rather not recall right now. But I agree with you whole heartedly!

    By Blogger Michelle, at 1:28 PM  

  • girl,
    speaking from my own experiences in court, i can identify with you. as a social worker, i'm in court a couple times a month to testify and give updates on my cases. about two years ago, the judge was reviewing one of my cases and ended up yelling at me because i didn't have a report completed that i didn't know i was supposed to have done by that court date. she threatened to hold me in contempt of court if i didn't have the report done in two weeks. it really was unfair because i really had no idea that she put an order in to have this report done. after i left the court room, i burst into tears. it was probably one of the most traumatizing moments of my career life.

    By Blogger Joy, at 12:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home