A circle has too much symmetry

Monday, February 19, 2007

I Want to Grow Up

I never wanted to be a child, even when I was a child. I did not enjoy childhood and could not wait until I was an adult. I left my mother’s home at the age of 16, grown up already. I never shied away from the roles and responsibilities of being an adult. I also never want to go back to being a child; it was the worst time in my life. I never want to be so powerless again, by not having the power to change things in my life that I didn’t like.

I frequently run across people who don’t want to grow up and I understand that their childhoods were radically different from mine. By not wanting to grow up they want to go back to a time without so many responsibilities and expectations, which is normal. By growing up I am in a place where the expectations are of my own making, and I am responsible for my place in the world.

2 Comments:

  • I have to say, for the most part, I enjoyed my childhood.
    I also have to admit that there are days when I wish I could go back.

    By Blogger chesneygirl, at 8:02 PM  

  • I do want to go back to being 21 does that count?

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home