A circle has too much symmetry

Friday, June 10, 2005

Boyfriends (or Girlfriends) at Work

I wrote this yesterday in the middle of one of the most boring seminars that I have ever been too.

I have just been introduced to a new term BAW (aka Boyfriend at Work). Now on the surface this term seems trivial, but upon further thought it is quite profound. It states no matter what your relationship status outside of work, married, single or in a relationship you have another relationship with someone else at work. In other words you always have a BAW or GAW at work. It is a relationship in the sense that there is an emotional exchange with the person at work. Note a BAW or GAW relationship is almost always a non-sexual relationship, but it is a relationship. You are affected by the BAW or GAW actions on a personal level. After hearing about BAWs I thought do I have a BAW, and the answer is yes of course I have one! In fact I have always had one. I even had more than one at my last job; I had a spare BAW in case my first one was out of town. So now the real question is, is having a BAW an emotional affair? Or is it a normal healthy part of the work environment?

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home