A circle has too much symmetry

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

What would you trade your first coconut for?

What is the oldest profession? Now I know most of you are ready to say prostitution, and it is definitely google’s choice, but according to an astrophysicist I know it is astronomy. But what would you really trade your first coconut for, information on the stars or you know… What prompted this post you might be wondering? Well in the spirit of embracing all things DC I decided to visit an all nude strip club this weekend. I personally have a great time at strip clubs; they are entertaining on two fronts. One is I am only about 75% heterosexual and 25% homosexual so I enjoy looking at the beautiful naked women. Also the dancers are very friendly with me. I think it increases their nightly tips. The second reason is that I am female surrounded by a bunch of hot and bothered men that are planning on spending a lot of money. Being 75% hetero, this is very entertaining and a huge ego boost. However as some what of a feminist I have mixed feelings about being a patron to such establishments. It is obvious that strip clubs are objectifying a woman’s body. A woman is more than the sum of her body parts and should not be treated as such. In spite of this a women’s body is her property to do with what she likes, including selling it for money. Of course this is if it is truly her choice to sell, and I think this is where the puritanical views of society play a major role. If sex were an open and accepted thing and not a thing of evil, I don’t think that it would be forced into the underworld of illegal activities. Also the acceptance of strip clubs and prostitutes would help reduces the rampant victimization of prostitutes. In order for strip clubs to guarantee women dancers are there totally of their own choice a major social revolution needs to occur in this country. So as a feminist do I go to strip clubs, or do I wait until a major social revolution before returning?

5 Comments:

  • Go now! And talk about it like you did!

    By Blogger Ellen, at 6:06 PM  

  • Oh, and last time you told me it was 80% hetero. Would it be worthwhile to wait for it to decrease further? ;)

    By Blogger Ellen, at 6:10 PM  

  • I can't help it I spent hours looking at beautiful naked women!

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 9:05 AM  

  • As a libertarian I am against telling anyone what they can and can't do, so I have no objection to strip clubs...other than them being a waste of money. No one goes to restaurants that let you look at the food but not eat it.

    By Blogger HomeImprovementNinja, at 1:58 PM  

  • Yes but I go to museums and I don't buy the paintings.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home