A circle has too much symmetry

Monday, January 09, 2006

Holiday Adventures

Skiing, yes sport’s fans I crashed. And not just any crash, a spectacular crash that resulted in injuries. I was skiing side by side with my favorite skiing partner and she missed her turn and cut in front of me. In all the years that we have been skiing together this has never happened. However this was the worst snow day that either one of us had ever experienced. The conditions were a total white out resulting from high winds and extremely sticky snow resulting from blinding rains. So it is totally forgivable that she missed her turn and almost ran in to me. In order to miss her, I turned into snow that completely stopped my forward motion, I tried to hop out of it (and almost did) and caught the edge of my ski. Now we all know what happens then, my lower body was completely stopped and my upper body kept going right until it impacted the snow head first. I blacked out for a few seconds, got up and skied it off; until the next day when my head fell back and the front neck muscles were unable to bring it back up. I quickly went to a medical doctor to learn I had a minor concussion along with whip lash. At least this happened on the last day of skiing and not the first.

New Year’s Eve

I like to drink, not to get drunk but to drink a few glasses of wine (or beer) until I feel a little tipsy and then stop. However being in the land of the crazies, I had not anything to drink my entire holiday vacation and was looking forward to New Year’s Eve. The plan was to start at the house with a few old friends and then work our way over to the local club. The door bell rings at 6 pm on Saturday night, I kid you not 6 pm. By 7 pm everyone that was going out that night was already at the house drinking. Now as I mentioned before I like to drink but not get drunk so I was not going to start drinking at 6 pm on a night that was going to last until well after midnight. I planned on doing all my drinking at the club, which is totally affordable in small town USA. At 10 pm we all pile into my brother-in-law’s 4 runner and head to the club. Of course we get pulled over, and I being the only sober person in the car was not driving, go figure. The brother-in-law gets arrested, luckily not for a DUI but for a warrant. I am now the DD and of course the officer is a friend from high school that cuts us a break, including ignoring the fact that there are open containers in the truck and drugs. I take the VIs (village idiots) to the club and proceed to the jail to bail out the in-law. By the time I arrive with the jail bird at the club it is almost midnight and everyone is totally drunk and I remain the DD for the evening. Great fun! Also the club was a trip, it was my first visit to a club that played only rap music, and I live in DC.

2 Comments:

  • First off, the single greatest thing about skiing is being able to tell your friends about all you wicked crashes. So at least your ski trip was wildly successful in that regard.

    By Blogger Smerdyakov, at 1:35 PM  

  • It was my first crash in over 16 years!

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home