A circle has too much symmetry

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Absent Minded Scientist

I have been absent for the last few days and I have much to report, but I am going to start at the end and eventually work my way back to the beginning. I had an absent minded scientist day yesterday and I blame the entire thing on a baby, yes a baby. I was on a really long flight back to DC yesterday and I was sitting next to a couple with a baby. Needless to say after 5 hours on the flight I really wanted off. Immediately when the doors opened I fled the plane, which was easy considering I was sitting in the bulk head seat next to the exit door. I was also really happy to be back in DC.

I proceeded to the taxi stand, got a cab and came to the lab. Upon arrival at the lab I discovered I did not have any cash. I usually keep a secret stash in my wallet but I had spent it some where (and I don’t remember where). The taxi driver was pissed! I know he had a right to be upset but he was really angry with me. He would not take a check or a credit card either and insisted I borrow the money from a stranger. I tried calling all my co-workers and no one answered the phone! As the driver was getting more furious at me I finally relented and walked into the HR building and frantically explained my situation to the receptionist and asked her for the money. I work at a huge lab and I had never met this receptionist but she gave me the money.

In order to pay the receptionist back I had to go to the ATM, which is far from the main gate. As I mentioned no one was answering my phone calls and the employee shuttle was no where to be found. Of course, I felt bad! This random Good Samaritan had just given me cab fare and it was 4:30pm, and I wanted to return her money before she left for the day. I was dressed in a huge sweater and ski parka as a result of the very cold place I had just come from. There I was running across the lab, in very hot weather, in my complete winter outfit (along with high heels). I was hot, sweaty and a basket case. Finally I managed to get money from the ATM and my car and went to pay the Good Samaritan back.

When I arrived at HR the GS had left for the day, but I left her money (plus an extra 20) with one of her co-workers. I was also informed that this was her first day on the job! Can you believe it; she gave some random stranger (me) cab fare on her first day on the job. Around this time I noticed that I left my carry on luggage on the plane, yup it was still on the plane. I was so anxious to flee the plane, not only did I not get any money I forgot my luggage. Absent minded scientist indeed.

7 Comments:

  • Wow. I would have been bawling like a baby by the end of all that. Sounds like you were able to keep your cool. *hugs*

    By Blogger Joy, at 9:51 PM  

  • Oh man. Truly that is a bad day. Nevermind my newest post then. My bad day is nothing like yours. Hope you were able to get your carry-on back and your stress level back to normal.

    By Blogger Michelle, at 12:24 AM  

  • Joy and Naive, there is good in this story too. The complete stranger giving me cab fare, the airlines not blowing up the stuff I left on the plane, I am a silver lining kind of woman.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 9:20 AM  

  • I know what you mean! My bottled spring water is tepid!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:31 PM  

  • Anonymous - odorless, colorless and tasteless by definition

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 9:40 AM  

  • Well umm...yes I do admit I am but will work on that.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:31 AM  

  • Anonymous - Not you the water, sometimes I can't stop being a scientist.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home