A circle has too much symmetry

Friday, May 19, 2006

Golf

Yesterday I golfed for the first time in two years and let me tell you it sucks! I hate golf. I used to not be this bad but I am now. I can’t believe in order to play the corporate ladder game that I am going to have to golf. Not only do I have to golf I have to establish a handicap, after yesterday’s display I am positive that it is going to be 36, which is the largest handicap you can have. In order to establish a handicap I need to play 10 rounds of golf, 18 hole rounds. Golf used to be something I did while I was drinking but now I am older and more responsible (yeah right). I just can’t party like a rock star anymore. I also thought naively that golf would be an excellent way to exercise, if I walked the course.

I did walk the course and it wasn’t a great workout, it just took forever. I mean forever! Golf has to be the longest most boring sport on the planet. It wouldn’t be so bad if someone like Tiger were on the course but no such luck for me. I have heard that golf is a sport dominated by men, but the people who collected that data forgot to mention they are not the eye candy type of men. I will be golfing this weekend too. I am going to bring my disposable camera and capture some of the amazing places I end up putting my ball.

The only positive thing about golf is the availability of pink accessories. They have pink balls, pink bags, pink shoes and the kicker pink shafts. I figure if I can’t golf at least I can look good while I am trying to golf.

6 Comments:

  • those pot bellies on the golf courses of America are proof that golf as exercise is a fallacy. I'm not a golfer, like you I find it boring to chase a tiny ball around a field, but the golf carts are kinda fun to drive. And Petroleum industry gold tournaments are kinda fun. The company my husband used to work for sponsored a hole for an API golf tournament every year. The down side was I had to help prepare food, the upside was free booze. Also, some of the golfers weren't of the pot bellied pig variety and were actually kinda cute. Most of them usually only golf to represent their companies once a year in this tournament. Another reason to miss New Mexico.

    By Blogger i used to be me, at 5:51 PM  

  • Spin - I will gladly swap your corporate golf for my corporate skiing.

    My CEO is a skiing nut, so this winter it will be multiple trips to the ski fields (2.5 hours south in a minivan) for all of us senior execs. I do not like the cold, I do not like the snow, and my only experience of skiing has been a sum total of 5 minutes before I fell and tore the ligaments in my ankle. I don't own any ski gear, have no intention of buying any, and shudder at the thought of renting some scungy stuff that other people have worn before me. I'm also not looking forward to all the others zooming down the slopes like pros while I continuously fall on my wet arse in the beginner section.

    Can I please come golfing with you?

    By Blogger Imelda, at 6:53 PM  

  • I am an avid golfer. I cannot imagine a situation where you "have" to play golf. In my experience, very little, if any, business is discussed on the golf course. It's almost considered tacky.

    Bonding is a different issue, if that's what you're worried about. I don't know what to say about that. But I'll tell you this, most golfers would prefer that someone who can't play decline the offer. I've never known of anyone to be offended by a "no thanks, I don't play" when a round of golf is suggested.

    By Blogger Nashville Knucklehead, at 10:45 AM  

  • Imelda,

    I am a fabulous skier! Not only do I have all the gear I can ski any terrain and I love it. Oh life is not fair!

    Nashville,

    It is "bonding" thing I am worried about. I am going to take golf lessons so I won't be too slow. I am sure deals are not done on the golf course but you do meet and greet people.

    Genius,

    If there was free alcohol involved I would love the game!

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 9:30 AM  

  • This should be on "Post Secrets". I never did get how to figure a handicap in any sport.

    By Blogger Michelle, at 10:54 PM  

  • Naive,

    I golfed again last night and my score was better but the game still sucks!

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home