A circle has too much symmetry

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

100 books

I stole this from Chaucerian Girl, and as I have already said I love lists and books so I couldn't help myself.

OFFICIAL INSTRUCTIONS: Bold the ones you've read, italicize the ones you want to read, make the ones you wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole red, put a + in front of the ones on your bookshelf, and put an * by the ones you've never heard of.

My own instructions, blue for ones I am not going to read because I have no strong feelings about them.

And just like the blogger I stole this from, because it's me and I can't resist, there will be comments. Be prepared.


1. The Da Vinci Code (Dan Brown).
I didn't understand the hype, the book was mildly entertaining.

2. Angels and Demons (Dan Brown).

3. +Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen).
I love this book and I just reread it after reading Beyond the Edge of Reason.

4. To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee).

5. +Gone With The Wind (Margaret Mitchell).

6. +The Hobbit (J.R.R. Tolkien)
I read this book for the first time when I really needed an escape from reality and it did not let me down.

7. +The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (J.R.R. Tolkien).
The best series I have read to date.

8. +The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (J.R.R. Tolkien)
My favorite of the books when I first read them in 1988.

9. +The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers (J.R.R. Tolkien)
My favorite of the three books right now.

10. Anne of Green Gables (L.M. Montgomery).

11. Outlander (Diana Gabaldon)

12. *A Fine Balance (Rohinton Mistry)

13. + Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (J.K. Rowling).

14. + Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (J.K. Rowling)

15. + Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (J.K. Rowling)

16. + Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (J.K. Rowling)

17. + Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (J.K. Rowling)

18. A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving)
I like Irving but he has too much brutality to women in his books so I probably won't read this one.

19. Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden)

20. *Fall on Your Knees (Ann-Marie MacDonald)

21. The Stand (Stephen King)

22. +Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte).

23. +The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger)
This book sucks. I know everyone in the world is going to disagree with me, but there is absolutely nothing redeeming about Holden, and there are redeeming qualities in teenaged boys.

24. Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)

25. The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold)
I was pleasantly surprised by this book.

26. Life of Pi (Yann Martel)
I don't wnat to read this one but it is not a 10 foot pole thing either.

27. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)
Everything he says about physicists is true.

28. +Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte).

29. +The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (C. S. Lewis)
This book is meant for children.

30. +East of Eden (John Steinbeck)
I love this book.

31. *Tuesdays with Morrie (Mitch Albom)

32. Dune (Frank Herbert)
I loved the movie, I did not really like the book but I do like all new Dune books.

33. The Notebook (Nicholas Sparks)
Not a 10 foot pole book

34. +1984 (James Orwell).
Note I think they mean George Orwell and this book change the way I think, and not many things do that

35. +The Mists of Avalon (Marion Zimmer Bradley)

36. The Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett)

37. * The Power of One (Bryce Courtenay)

38. I Know This Much is True (Wally Lamb)
Not going to read, but not a 10 foot pole thing either

39. The Red Tent (Anita Diamant)

40. Ulysses (James Joyce).

41.*The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho)

42. The Clan of the Cave Bear (Jean M. Auel)
I loved to imagine I was Ayla when I read this book.

43. *The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)

44. Confessions of a Shopaholic (Sophie Kinsella)

45. The Five People You Meet In Heaven (Mitch Albom)

46. Bible

47. +Anna Karenina (Leo Tolstoy).

I already reviewed this book in this blog.


48. +The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas)

49. *Angela’s Ashes (Frank McCourt)

50. The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck)

51. She’s Come Undone (Wally Lamb)

52. *The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver)

53. +A Tale of Two Cities (Charles Dickens)
Actually on the night stand, I am currently reading this one.

54. +Great Expectations (Charles Dickens)
Love Dickens

55. Ender’s Game (Orson Scott Card)

56. The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald)

57. * The Stone Angel (Margaret Laurence)

58. The Thorn Birds (Colleen McCullough)

59. The Handmaid’s Tale (Margaret Atwood)

60. The Time Traveler’s Wife (Audrey Niffenegger)

61. +Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoyevsky)
Currently reading

62. +Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

63. +The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand)

64. + War and Peace (Leo Tolstoy).

65. + Interview With The Vampire (Anne Rice)
The movie was better than the book, one of only handfull of times that happens.

66. * Fifth Business (Robertson Davis)

67. + One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
This book I read because everyone was and it was a waste of time.

68. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Ann Brasheares)

69. Catch-22 (Joseph Heller)

70. +Les Miserables (Victor Hugo).

I71. The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint-Exupery).

72. +Bridget Jones’ Diary (Helen Fielding).
I liked it, I read in on an airplane.

73. +Love in the Time of Cholera (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
I am reluctant to read this one, after reading a 100 years of solitude but I hear it is the better of the two books. A 100 years of solitude had the makings of a great book and fell short which in my opinion makes it a terrible book.

74. Shogun (James Clavell)

75. The English Patient (Michael Ondaatje)

76. +The Secret Garden (Frances Hodgson Burnett).

77. *The Summer Tree (Guy Gavriel Kay)

78. *A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith).

79. +The World According To Garp (John Irving)
See my Irving comment from above

80. *The Diviners (Margaret Laurence)

81. Charlotte’s Web (E.B. White)

82. * Not Wanted On The Voyage (Timothy Findley)

83. Of Mice And Men (John Steinbeck)
Steinbeck is my favorite author, but I can't reread this one, it is even too much for me.

84. *Rebecca (Daphne DuMaurier).

85. +Wizard’s First Rule (Terry Goodkind)
People are stupid. I love the wizard's first rule, and the book was mildly entertaining.

86. +Emma (Jane Austen).

87. Watership Down (Richard Adams)

88. Brave New World (Aldous Huxley)

89. *The Stone Diaries (Carol Shields)

90. * Blindness (Jose Saramago)

91. *Kane and Abel (Jeffrey Archer)

92. *In The Skin Of A Lion (Michael Ondaatje)

93. +Lord of the Flies (William Golding)

94.*The Good Earth (Pearl S. Buck)

95. The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd)

96. The Bourne Identity (Robert Ludlum)

97. The Outsiders (S.E. Hinton)

98. White Oleander (Janet Fitch)

99. *A Woman of Substance (Barbara Taylor Bradford)

100. *The Celestine Prophecy (James Redfield)

7 Comments:

  • I might do this one when I blog again.

    By Blogger i used to be me, at 8:25 AM  

  • Genius,

    Anything to bring you back, I miss you!

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 9:23 AM  

  • aw, thanks. :)

    By Blogger i used to be me, at 10:47 AM  

  • Number 43 - The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini....This is a MUST read! It's one of my favorite books. :)

    By Blogger Joy, at 1:18 AM  

  • I read Life of Pi and was horribly disappointed. It took me almost a year to even pick it up, but I had so many people (and media) telling me what a fantastic book it was, I finally relented. I got to page 173 and decided it was not worth the precious time I was wasting. That's just my opinion though, I'm sure someone will differ with me!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:18 AM  

  • Joy,
    I will put it on my list.

    Amanda,
    I that it was about math when I heard it wasn't I took it off the list.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 1:32 PM  

  • Annoymous,

    The blog is enough of a forum for me, but thanks for the comment.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home