A circle has too much symmetry

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Insights into my mother's way of thinking

I finally figured out why my mother wants me to have a child. I have not shared with her my warming to the idea of motherhood and as far as she knows I am never going to have one. Yesterday my mother tired to involve one of my friends in a plot to sabotage my birth control, and she was serious. She has been hounding me for years to become a mother regardless if I have found a suitable father. My mother claims that becoming a mother will make my life complete, like it is lacking something right now. Of course I have the wonderful role model in her on what not to do as a mother. I was thinking about this last night and this morning too tired with this argument to even get angry when it dawned on me, my mother wants me to become a mother and then fail at motherhood so she won’t feel so bad about being a terrible mother!

She is trying to set me up for failure to show me that being a good mother in my family is an impossible task. Or even better; I am a good mother and despite my best efforts my child turns out to be a complete failure. It could happen. She is a BAD mother and I turned out just fine.

2 Comments:

  • Maybe she wants a chance to redeem herself in your eyes by being a good grandmother.

    I don't really mean to play devil's advocate. I'm really sorry you had/have such a hard time with your mom. Mine does things that get on my nerves but she is a good mom.

    You're right though, you turned out wonderfully well in spite of your upbringing.

    By Blogger i used to be me, at 12:21 PM  

  • Genius,
    Nice thought but my mother is incapable of being a "good" anything, including grandmother or dog sitter.

    And at least my mother provides entertainment.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home