A circle has too much symmetry

Thursday, April 05, 2007

In the Future

While reading The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullen I read the passage where Bif Brannon asks Jake Blout if he could go anywhere at any time where would it be? The question comes up all the time in general conversations, usually involving the getting to know you phase. My answer depends on the parameters of the question, like can I visit and then come back? If that is the case there are many places and times I would like to see for myself, but if I have to stay I want to go into the future. I don’t know what the future might hold but I am banking on the continuous improvement of humanity. I believe that ignorance, violence, discrimination and suffering will all decrease with time. I believe that knowledge and experience will increase with time, and the world will be a better place because of it. I look forward to the time where opportunities are equal and ignorance and fear of the unknown does not have influence in my daily life. I want to go into the future, based solely on the hope and the belief that tomorrow is going to be better than today. I am just a cheery little optimist, what can I say?

On the gossip side, I am going on a 4-day white water rafting trip with a few people from work this summer. The deadline for payment is soon approaching and during lunch yesterday I invited my new friends. The only one interested was my IB. Now comes the gossip part; I told him if he was going to attend to please not bring his girlfriend because I did not like her. It just came out! It is true, but I did not mean to say it out loud. When I had time to think about it I was horrified about the way I said it but not that I said it. I don’t go to any social events that include her, and I would hate to spend 4 days on a river with her, so at least the problem is addressed.

4 Comments:

  • You hopes ARE optimistic... I hope you are right! :)

    The whitewater rafting trip sounds like a blast! I've never been.
    May I ask where you're going?

    By Blogger chesneygirl, at 1:33 PM  

  • Cataract Canyon on the Colorado

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 3:23 PM  

  • I know what happened in the past and I'm too fond of indoor plumbing to want to go back there and I'm not as optimistic about the future as you are so, given a choice, I think I'd just stay in the present. Yes, I am an unadventurous wuss.

    By Blogger i used to be me, at 10:54 AM  

  • Genius,

    I prefer the present to the past too.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home