A circle has too much symmetry

Friday, July 20, 2007

Critical

Today I was called critical; it is not the first time I have been described by this adjective.

Critical

1. inclined to criticize severely and unfavorably
2. suggests a tendency to judge by unreasonably strict standards
3. characterized by a tendency to judge harshly

I don’t think I judge people severely, unfavorable, by unreasonably strict standards or judge too harshly. I hold different people in my life to different standards, which is true of everyone. And if you are not in my life I hold you to have empathy and sympathy towards your fellow human beings and that is it. If you are in my life I hold you to a standard based on how much you are in my life. The more you affect my life the more rigorous the requirements to stay there.

If you want my love and to love me in return the standard is vastly different than if I just work with you. This is also completely normal. If you are not willing to come up to that standard then your penetration into my life will reflect that. This is not a bad thing. Now that I think about it, the people who accuse me of being critical are the ones right on the edge. People I am considering letting further into my life, and usually the ones that do not meet the standard I have set. It would be insane to let people deep into your life that you can not trust or respect.

I have been burned a time or two by letting someone in who betrayed my trust, but for the most part I have been very lucky. I have a great network of friends who I love and who are always there for me. I have never been lonely other than when it is by choice or sometimes by not making a choice. I think I will stay with my critical ole self.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home