A circle has too much symmetry

Monday, January 07, 2008

The First Step

Update: 60 minutes cardio, 30 pushups, 200 crunches, 12 lbs to go. Diet so far so good but I have not had dinner yet.

I have a spending problem. There I said it; the first step in any 12 step program is admitting you have a problem. This past holiday season I went a little nuts with the whole retail therapy thing. I bought, bought and then bought some more, to the point that I am broke. I am acutely aware of my problem too and I have arrived at a point that I am forced into some sort of restriction. You see I live in a 4 bedroom home and 3 of the 4 closets are filled with my clothes and shoes. So when I purchase something new I give something away, a new pair of shoes and an old pair has to go, the same holds for shirts, pants, pajamas you name it. It has been quite effective in limiting my boot shopping because there is not a pair in my closets that I can be separated from.

Well in the depths of my holiday despair this year I went a little crazy. I bought 4 new turtlenecks, 5 sweaters and 2 shirts (along with many other non-clothing purchases). Now I have to get rid of 11 shirts in my closet and I don’t own anything that is more than 2 years old and most of my shirts have only been worn twice (at the most). There is nothing I don’t like in my closets and there is nothing that doesn’t fit. All my shirts will still fit when I lose the 12 lbs too; it is the beauty of being tall. My current BAW and the Kid tease me non stop about my addiction. I declared after the holiday break that I was not going to spend money for 30 days.

My BAW and the Kid now have a bet to see if I can go 30 days without spending money. My BAW thinks I can not make it past this weekend and the Kid thinks I can not make it past President’s weekend. The thing is that I am not sure that I can do it. At times I laugh at the 30 day restriction, I can so not spend money, and yet this morning while getting dressed and I could not locate my new yellow bra to match my yellow shirt and I almost went on line to the VS semiannual sale. I already have two very big drawers full of bras and matching panties. I am going to make it 30 days and not just to spite my two relentlessly teasing co-workers either (well to spite them a little bit). I am going to make it 30 days because my spending has become ridiculously out of control.

7 Comments:

  • I can sympathize, 'cause I've been there. My finances forced me at last to cut back on my spending addiction, and the cramped state of our house helped. The new rule is if something comes in, something goes out. (Of course, a lot of other things are going out as part of a massive decluttering effort as well.)

    Break a leg!!

    By Blogger Faith, at 9:57 AM  

  • Girl I hear ya on the shopping! I kind of went nuts this past month! Now I need to slow down for while. I'm giving myself until spring. We'll see if I make it then! :D

    By Blogger Joy, at 10:10 PM  

  • i wish i could save money.

    By Blogger soleil, at 7:42 PM  

  • Ladies I am happy to declare I have gone 11 days without spending money (gas and food does not count). I only have 19 days to go.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 8:20 PM  

  • I have serious issues with spending money too.
    So bad that when I run out, I resort to the plastic cards.

    And with the wedding cruise right around the corner those plastic cards are getting the workout that *I* shoud be getting before the cruise!!!

    By Blogger chesneygirl, at 11:36 AM  

  • congratulations! that's almost halfway there!

    By Blogger soleil, at 8:17 PM  

  • Jehara,

    I was looking at the wrong calendar, I still have 20 days to go. I have started a wish list.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home