A circle has too much symmetry

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Chasing Dream


I pulled out my china and started getting ready for a Christmas Eve wine and pasta dinner I am hosting. While unpacking and washing my china I can’t help but think on how different a person I am than I thought I wanted. I put my China on layaway when I was 16 years old. It took my 5 years to pay off my China and it is beautiful.

I had the dream of growing up and hosting fancy dinner parties on my beautiful China. I dreamed that I would be the perfect house wife, hosting the best dinners and parties for all my husband’s associates and clients. I even thought I would be the perfect mother. I would spend my days working out, getting manicures, pedicures, attending classes, cooking even painting. I would take my children to practices and never miss a game.
That was my dream at 16 and I had the start of making that dream come true, the china, the successful husband but I don’t like to cook. I don’t have the patience for painting and my hands spent too much time in chemicals for manicures. I do like pedicures but they don’t take up an entire day.

I don’t know what my dream is now, but they ones I chased when I was 16 are no longer for me. I don’t know that they ever were. I still have a complete set of beautiful china, with matching leaded crystal wine glasses (red and white) and real silverware.

2 Comments:

  • One of the good things about growing older in my opinion. Dreams are a little more reasonable, and obtainable. Dream on hon.

    By Blogger Rainwolf, at 10:09 PM  

  • I think the downfall of social orer can be traced to the reduction of the practice of layaway. Credit cards = instant gratification so we never fully appreciate the things we have to work for. With layaway? Its a commitment. Every dollar earned is one step closer to the culmination of your desires.
    I bought my first real suit via layaway. $420 = 60 bucks down and whatever I could muster ever week for the next three months. When you have to wait for something, you really appreciate it when you finally hold it in your hands.

    By Blogger Smerdyakov, at 7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home