A circle has too much symmetry

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Drive it before you buy it

The idea of abstinence until marriage never really impacted me. I knew it wasn’t for me because there is no way I could wait that long; I am just not a patient person. I can’t wait for things I want. I had also laughed at the comments like you don’t buy a car before the test drive but it was always a joke. My thinking has really changed in the past few years; you seriously don’t want to buy a car without a test drive. In fact you don’t even want to rent or borrow a car without a very successful test drive. On the flip side an amazing test drive can make you blind to fact that it isn’t really the car for you. I have been on both sides of this issue.

I had the best driving experience of my life and it took me almost a year to realize the car was stupid. The car was fundamentally stupid, incapable of original thought or conversation; not the car for me. Once I noticed the complete lack of substance (a year later) I could not stand the car for another moment even though it was the perfect ride.

Now I have the sweetest car on the planet, it does everything and more a woman could ever want except the driving is terrible. It is worse than terrible (where is the thesaurus); it is appalling, dreadful, horrendous, atrocious, and ghastly. You might be thinking you can teach someone to drive and solve this problem but trust me I have tried. There are just some things you can’t fix; either you don’t know how, you don’t have the energy/heart or they are plain just not fixable (I am living with all three). I hate to say good bye to this car with every accessory but I can’t live with the terrible driving performance. After each test drive the car loses some of it brilliance.

4 Comments:

  • Hmmm... you have me VERY curious... what kind of vehicles are you talking about here.

    I love the way my Grand Prix drives, it doesn't do everything a woman could want but... I still love it! :)

    By Blogger chesneygirl, at 10:32 AM  

  • I'm looking forward to test driving a few cars now that I'll be street legal.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:19 PM  

  • Your post just reminded me of this guy I used to work with at the university, who compared every single one of my dates to car make and model. He was pretty philosophical about it-the differences between a pinto, an accord, or a ferrari. Used to crack me up...I think you must have an accord, currently.

    By Blogger Izzybella, at 11:40 AM  

  • Chesney,

    That is enough. I would settle for a great drive with a car I loved.

    Jenny,

    You go girl!

    Izzy,

    Yes a very reliable, dependable boring car (but more like a Civic)

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home