A circle has too much symmetry

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Moab is cool

I survived the river trip but just barely. It was not the class 5 rapids or the 55,000 cfs water flows that almost did me in but the unseasonable cold weather. A freak cold front blew into Moab, Utah just as our party arrived. It was in the forties and I almost died of exposure. The minute we left the river the weather was back to almost triple digits.

I can’t quite put my finger on what makes Moab so cool. I have heard about Moab my whole life, people rant and rave about the town. I have had random conversations with complete strangers while zip lining over the jungles of Central America and the topic about how wonderful Moab is occurs. Before I went to Moab, I just really didn’t get it. It is a really small town in the middle of the desert. The only things to do there are hike, bike, rock climb and white water raft. I don’t bike and the idea of hiking in triple digits repulses me; oh and I hate the desert. I think it is ugly (please don’t hate me). So when people talked about Moab as this Mecca town with abject reverence, I would internally role my eyes while I politely smiled. Secretly thinking I needed the medication the Moab lovers were on.

I get it now and I don’t get it. Moab is cool. It might be the people that descend there from May to September. They are the kind of adventurous, free, fun and interesting people that most of us aspire to be. It could be the variety of people that are in this town; hundreds a miles away from the nearest city. It might be the hot dry weather makes you light headed and unable to think clearly but the simple fact is Moab is cool. You feel like a bit of that it factor that is Moab rubs off on you while you are there, and you become slightly more interesting during your stay.

I don’t get it and I love Moab. I am now taking the Moab medication, you wouldn’t understand unless you have been there.

3 Comments:

  • Glad you had a great time!

    I've never heard of "Moab"...

    By Blogger chesneygirl, at 10:30 AM  

  • Moab *is* cool. I had to laught at your comment about how it makes people a little more interesting, but it sort of does have that effect. Glad you had a good time.

    By Blogger Izzybella, at 11:38 AM  

  • Chesney Girl,

    Try google

    Izzy,

    As a former UT girl I expected you to understand.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home