A circle has too much symmetry

Friday, April 04, 2008

Some words to go with my feelings

I can’t stand to watch an animal suffer but human suffering doesn’t bother me as much. Many people in my life are puzzled by this extreme sympathy to animals and a seemingly lack of empathy for humans. I have never been able to articulate why I feel so, but something came to me today. Misery is part of the human condition, whether self inflicted or not it is there. Pain and suffering is something every human deals with on many different levels and for the most part we survive and move on. Humans are wired to deal with pain and suffering and move on. Animals do not have to cognitive reasoning to rationalize pain and suffering, to learn from it and pull the positive from it. They learn pain. They learn suffering and there is nothing in their brains that allow them to cope constructively from it.

4 Comments:

  • that's a great explanation.

    By Blogger soleil, at 3:05 PM  

  • Yep.

    By Blogger Rainwolf, at 11:49 PM  

  • I feel a greater powerlessness when I'm involved with animal suffering.

    By Blogger Theresa, at 9:48 AM  

  • I don't know if you go back and read these, but I feel exactly this same way. With the exception of very old and very young children. They are in the same "I can't take it" boat as animals.

    By Blogger Michelle, at 2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home