A circle has too much symmetry

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

How many miles do I have to go?

I started running a few years ago as an efficient way to maintain my figure. Every step I took was a struggle. I hated to run. I started small running a mile at the most. Now years later I run a few times a week and it is still a struggle every step and I still hate to run. However the reasons I run now are different than they were years ago. I run to maintain the physical endurance I need to play hockey, football and ski.

More importantly I run to forget. I run to exhaust my body to the point that my mind shuts down and all I can think about is how much I hate running. It takes two to three miles to leave behind all the stress at work. Two miles and the hateful mentor leaves my head. Two and half miles and the horrible place I work leaves my head. Three miles and all my professional inadequacies are out of my head. However I have yet to reach the mile marker where the loneliness is no longer. I have tried 5 miles and the emptiness is still there. Six miles and I still am left wanting. Is there enough pavement to stop wanting you?

5 Comments:

  • Without knowing any of the details, I'd guess that the metphorical miles will slowly turn into a few hundred feet and finally disappear altogether.

    By Blogger Michelle, at 11:42 PM  

  • *metaphorical

    By Blogger Michelle, at 11:42 PM  

  • Naive, I hope you are right. It is just taking too long!

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 9:39 AM  

  • I just read this and can totally identify. A few years back, after a heartbreaking break-up with an old boyfriend, I started running. Like you, it was also my way of forgetting and cleansing myself of this old relationship. There were days when it helped and others when I felt like I should have kept running.

    By Blogger Joy, at 10:16 AM  

  • Joy the main benefit is a hard body.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home