A circle has too much symmetry

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Selling Out

I have decided to leave research. I know the purists out there think I am selling out and I am. I am going into the private industry. I had always heard about how much money a scientist could make in the private sector and I really did not think it was that much different, but sport’s fans it is a huge difference! I am going straight into an executive position and along with the position comes and executive start up package.

The start up package includes everything. I am talking everything, selling my condo, buying a new place, relocating all my goods (packing and unpacking), shipping my car in the fashion I desire, first class plane tickets, signing bonus and I think there is more too. Not to mention they are going to pay me 3 times what I am currently making. In addition to my salary is 5 weeks vacation, stock, retirement benefits, insurance and yearly bonuses. I am sure this is standard but I have been working for so long with very little benefits such that the whole concept is mind boggling.

With all that I am getting by going to the private sector, I can’t help but wonder what I am giving up. The obvious things I am giving up, is I won’t have to vie for tenure or compete for grant money. I won’t have to pour my blood, sweat and tears into a paper only to go through the painful refereeing process. I also think I will give up the intellectual environment. I will give up the idea that I can research whatever I want. I will give up the fact that I will own my discoveries. However, I have not really been able to research what I want, in theory I am suppose to able too, but in practice the research goes where the funding is. Perhaps I am not giving anything up and gaining a whole lot of material things. I am going to spend the rest of the day car shopping!

4 Comments:

  • Maybe this will put enought pavement between you and your ghosts to forget them.

    By Blogger Michelle, at 12:56 PM  

  • That is part of the plan.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 12:59 PM  

  • Wow, poor folk like me really envy your upcoming financial windfall. Must be nice.
    And I tend to think of it from a different perspective - making a litle extra money now will provide you with the opportunity to do whatever you want later. Make some money for a few years then put yourself in a position to where if you want to go back to research, you can do it on your own terms.

    By Blogger Smerdyakov, at 1:19 PM  

  • AC-that is part of the plan too. If I don't like it, I can always come back.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home