A circle has too much symmetry

Thursday, August 17, 2006

The ravages of time

For the Scheherazade Project:


She slowly trends up the stairs struggling with each step. Her hips give her pain, along with a few other joints. She can’t get into the bathtub without assistance. She can’t get on the bed without help, and at times needs helping getting off. She has even been known to struggle getting in and out of the car.

Outwardly things have changed; She is going a little gray. The doctor tells us her teeth are wearing out. She spends most of the day asleep. She is sluggish to respond to my calls of entreaty. She cries out in pain when the playing is too forceful. Time has ravished her and all too quickly.

The time is approaching when time will leave it scar on my heart and soul. More troubling than the fine lines around my eyes that have appeared recently. More devastating than the morning when I realized the shining hair on my head was gray and not blonde. More heart wrenching than they day that I realized I was never going to be as beautiful, fit or flexible as I was once upon a time. The time is going to come when her time with me is gone, when her life is over and my life will still be going on. I see the ravages of time everyday on my little girl, and time is crueler master to her than it is to me. You see my little girl only has a life expectancy 1/8 of mine, and see is quickly approaching the end of it. Too quickly, and I see the progression everyday, and time is breaking my heart, and time won’t heal this heartbreak.

5 Comments:

  • I'm sitting here sharing a piece of cake with my little girl. I know I shouldn't but how can I enjoy it when she's staring at me so mournfully and patiently.

    I identified with your story, Spinner.

    By Blogger i used to be me, at 5:57 PM  

  • My little girl loves cookies! In her youth she would have chopped wood for a cookie.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 10:32 AM  

  • spin-doc, I really love your story. You did an excellent job portraying a loving relationship with just a few words. Plus I think you might be kindredly! Very much enjoyed.

    By Blogger Izzybella, at 1:32 PM  

  • A loving and sad story - very good :-)

    By Blogger Sam, at 9:34 PM  

  • IzzyBella and Sam,

    Thank you.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home