A circle has too much symmetry

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The last few hours

Yesterday I had a freaky dream, as you all know, and I shared it with all of my friends. As friends of mine they are required to listen too my freaky dreams. The overwhelming response from the males I shared my dream with was along the lines that they would spend their last hours on the planet shagging. It might be that most of male friends have not evolved much past the Homo habilis stage, but every time I think about the “end” of the earth I think about the why and how of it. I focus on the how and why, because fundamentally I know if I figure these things out I can come up with a solution and avoid the whole thing!

In the dream, after Ellen and I got off the bus, we walked around viewing the destruction trying to figure out what had happened. What woke me up was the scientific reason we came up with was not scientifically sound and my mind could not wrap itself around it. At no part in the dream was I afraid.

The whole ending of the earth scenario doesn’t work for me because I know that is not going to happen in my lifetime. However the same question, but asked a different way is what would you do if with your last few hours on earth? Knowing that you were going to die the next day and there was no possible way to stop it. That is a much harder question for me to answer. I don't even have an answer...

7 Comments:

  • Tough question Spinner, although, like your male friends, I wouldn't mind the shagging deal - and I'm female!!! Does that reduce me to that of the homo habilis stage as well? I digress. Let me ponder the question you posed and I'll get back to you.

    By Blogger Joy, at 5:05 PM  

  • I'd probably gather close my loved ones who are near enough to gather and call the others to say good bye. Other than that I don't know.

    I was thinking yesterday after I read about your dream that maybe you weren't afraid because as a scientist you look for the cause of the reaction and know that there is a logical explanation.

    That probably sounded stupid.

    By Blogger i used to be me, at 7:17 PM  

  • PS logical explanation with a possible solution.

    By Blogger i used to be me, at 7:19 PM  

  • Or maybe it had nothing to do with science at all but with what's going on in your subconscious?


    I have hijacked your comments, sorry

    By Blogger i used to be me, at 7:21 PM  

  • I would spend my last few hours first and foremost with my son. I would make sure he left this planet knowing just how much he was loved. I would also call all my friends and thank them for being there for me over the years; I would tell them just how much their friendship and love were appreciated. And I would tie up loose ends with people I haven't had the best relationship with, such as my family and my Ex.

    I would want to exit this life knowing that I had put my interpersonal affairs in order. The material stuff wouldn't be an issue.

    By Blogger Imelda, at 5:15 AM  

  • Joy,
    I think you have evolved. The shagging thing is when the situation could be changed and all the men where thinking about sex.

    Genius,
    Who knows what is going on in my head, conscious or subconscious!

    Imelda,
    I was not planning on being so morbid with this post, it just turned out that way.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 10:26 AM  

  • Spin - I don't think you're being morbid. It's good to sit back and look at things from a different perspective every now and then.

    By Blogger Imelda, at 11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home