A circle has too much symmetry

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Life Plan

Everyone claims to write a life plan, and considering all the writing I do I still have not written a comprehensive life plan. I keep getting advice from mentors to include my personal goals in life too. I have written a work plan which is much easier to do than to write a life plan. The main problem with writing a life plan is I don’t know what I want from my personal life; okay I do know but I am not sure that it is realistic. It is like saying I want to stay young and beautiful forever, there is no way to accomplish this goal. I also have conflicting goals.

I want to be a CEO of a moderate sized company ~ 10,000 employees, and in order to do so it would be really difficult to be a mother, but I wouldn’t mind having one child. I want a partner in my life that treats me great and is dependable, responsible, attractive and makes my heart do flip flops (oh and great in the bedroom). I also need a man whom I respect and have the same values as I do. If I located this perfect guy I would like to have one child with him, but in my experience I can’t find both, I find the responsible, dependable, trustworthy ones and they don’t make my stomach do back flips. I find the ones that make my blood boil and my heart race but they lack some very basic qualities that I need in a man. So I am thinking of settling, and I don’t think the first sentence in my life plan should be I plan on settling for a guy that I don’t really want. Hence my dilemmas in writing a life plan.

I also find that with work and family that I don’t have time to do the things that I enjoy already and I am childless. I don’t have time to go dancing, skiing or other physical things I enjoy. I am also currently living in the middle of nowhere and I don’t have the opportunity to participate in other things I enjoy. I have given work the highest priority in my life and I don’t regret it right now but I am afraid one day I might.

8 Comments:

  • Although I don't know you real well..it seems to me you're doing just fine!! I think it's great you've made your job a priority.
    I'm sure you have a fabulous degree and a fantastic job, that's important and you should never regret it. I did not do that and I DO regret THAT because I feel like I'm always behind and struggling.

    Even if you did put a "Life plan" together...Life doesn't always go the way we "plan" anyway! :)

    By Blogger chesneygirl, at 1:35 PM  

  • With my own personal "Experience" (though I'm only 23, so take that as you wish), you HAVE to make time for things you enjoy. 2 years ago, I was a full time college student, I worked 60 hours a week at my job and on Saturday nights I was in bed by 9. I was 21 and having no fun in life at all. Finally, I up and make the decision to move to New Mexico, changed jobs, go out every once in awhile (though I'm still in bed by 9) and just enjoy some things. I still miss out on somethings, having chosen work and grad school over the typical "twenty-something" lifestyle, but I still find time to enjoy myself. Go skiing next week!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:57 PM  

  • "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

    Some of the things you'd like to plan for your life are things you may have no control over. Plan away, because it's a good exercise and helps you become focused. But, as Chesneygirl said, remember the life doesn't always go as we plan.

    I spent years putting off things I wanted to do because we were actively trying to conceive. Oh, I can't do this, I'd say, because I just know I'm going to get pregnant and I'll have to cancel it, yadda yadda. And I missed out on so many things. And guess what--despite my best efforts and deepest desires, I have no children. But I do have a full life.

    It sounds like you have a full life as well, and that's awesome. Make and set goals, work toward them, and if something unexpected pops up in between things, enjoy it to its fullest!

    By Blogger Faith, at 4:32 PM  

  • What everybody else said. And also, please don't settle. You're way too good for that.

    By Blogger Izzybella, at 5:32 PM  

  • Wow you guys are the best! Thank you. I will write a life plan and I will include all the things I want no matter how far fetched.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 5:52 PM  

  • Chesney Girl,
    I am a physicists (crazy I know)!

    Amanda,
    You are the perfect on to give advice, before age makes you bitter.

    Faith,
    You hit the nail on the head, I am living my life with a bunch of what ifs and not in the moment.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 5:54 PM  

  • Make lots and lots of plans and then change them when they don't seem fitting. Make sure to be daring, expect to make mistakes, and never never waste time with regret.

    "young and beautiful" is over-rated.

    By Blogger Theresa, at 9:47 PM  

  • what theresa said. ;)

    By Blogger Joy, at 5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home