A circle has too much symmetry

Saturday, December 01, 2007

My First Hockey Game

Yesterday I played in my first ice hockey game. I have been really reluctant to play because I am still struggling to skate and I have not even started figuring out how to handle the puck. I am trying, seriously I am trying. I don’t know if I am giving it everything I have but I am giving it everything I am willing to. I practice twice a week and go to an open skate once a week. I am getting better but the progress is slow. I get very angry and frustrated with myself that my body does not do want my mind wants it to. I also feel guilt and frustration for letting down my coach and team members; there are so many things to think about and I have no hockey memory. I know it will come but I am really hard on myself and I don’t know how to stop. I wish I wasn’t so hard on myself but it is part of who I am.

I had 3 friends come to my game last night and 2 of the 3 friends were fun and encouraging. The 3rd friend (the Kid) spent the entire time after the game criticizing me. Now I know I suck, I know that I am not doing what the coach wants me too; I know I am not playing the game how it is meant to be played. I did not need to hear how I am completely failing on the ice right after my first game ever; two months after I stepped on the ice for the first time. It really hurt to be criticized like that and I even asked him to stop which he didn’t. I don’t know if I am going to be able to play another game any time soon.

3 Comments:

  • The Kid needs a swift kick in the ass is what it sounds like to me.
    ...just sayin.

    But don't let him get you down and definitely don't let it keep you from playing. The more you play and practice the better you'll get at it. :) Keep at it!!!

    By Blogger chesneygirl, at 12:55 PM  

  • some people seem to get off on knocking down others. you are really brave to try a sport that doesn't come easily to you. and to keep at it when you aren't kicking ass immediately. let's see the kid do that.

    By Blogger soleil, at 3:22 PM  

  • The Kid has been teaching me how to skate, he was a hockey player in college, but I agree I should hit him with my stick.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home