A circle has too much symmetry

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Addiction

Is falling in love a healthy state? Or is the initial staging of dating healthy? I am talking about emotionally healthy here. There are so many whys to explain it too, I’m pressed, or I’m Sprung or Madonna’s new one I’m hung up. As I sit here listening to popular music, I was struck by how many song are about being addicted to someone and it not being a good thing.

I'm tryin' to forget
But I'm addicted to you
But I wanted
And I needed
I'm addicted to you
Now it's over

It's like I can't breathe
It's like I can't see anything
Nothing but you
I'm addicted to you
It's like I can't think
Without you interrupting me
In my thoughts
In my dreams
You've taken over me

She says she feels like she's addicted to a real bad thing
She's always sitting, waiting wondering if the phone will ring
She knows she bounces like a yo-yo when he pulls her string
It hurts to feel like such a fool
She wants to tell him not to call or come around again
He doesn't need her now at all the way that she needs him
She's on the edge about to fall from leaning out and in
And she don't know which way to move

This behavior sounds extremely unhealthy and self destructive but is a common theme in American music, and I think a common occurrence in the initial stages of a relationship. If you are to fall in love and live happily ever after is the addiction stage of a relationship a requirement or is it a sign that the relationship is doomed to fail?

8 Comments:

  • doomed to fail ;)

    By Blogger Ellen, at 2:05 PM  

  • Ellen-You sound like you type from experience?

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 2:13 PM  

  • um...2...

    By Blogger Ellen, at 2:44 PM  

  • Come to think of it, those relationships without addiction were doomed to fail, too.

    By Blogger Ellen, at 2:52 PM  

  • I prefer being addicted to women in general, not just to a specific one. That is quite failsafe.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:09 PM  

  • Anonymous: No, I don't think so. Women can be brutal.

    By Blogger Ellen, at 5:38 PM  

  • Mid life crisis cynicism must say that her/his pheromones attach to his/her olfactory receptors creating a feeling of elation with a logic and self preservation destroying Pavlovian effect.

    In essence...temporary insanity.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:34 PM  

  • Yup, insanity!

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home