A circle has too much symmetry

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Show and Tell Tuesday


I have absolutely nothing interesting (that I can share with the rest of the world) to post today. Therefore I will embrace show and tell Tuesday and show my Hewlett Packard 48GX calculator. This is a picture of my calculator, and I can’t live without it. It is a reverse polar calculator, which means it is a stack orientated logic. If you don’t understand that don’t worry, it just means most people can not figure out how to use it. It was a gift from my mother years ago when it was first available on the market. The Hewlett Packard 48GX was a very expensive calculator at the time, around 400.00, and thanks to HP leaving the calculator market it is still a very expensive calculator.

I used the 48GX through out my undergraduate and graduate careers. It was such a powerful tool that I never needed (or learned) Mathematica or Maple (computing software packages). I use it all the time in my job. To this day I take it where ever I go; on airplanes so I can calculate the fraction of the speed of sound the plane is traveling, or the acceleration rate when taking off. This post is dedicated to the best calculator ever built, and I hope you never break because I would be screwed if you did.

10 Comments:

  • I'm in awe of your geekiness. You totally rock!

    By Blogger Theresa, at 10:07 AM  

  • Theresa-I am not just a geek, I am the queen of the geeks.

    Jean-Marc- I am going to keep track of you for the rest of my calculator's life.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 10:32 AM  

  • The only thing that I can equate to your love of that calculator is my love for a leather bound book. Hello :)

    By Blogger Stephen A. Bess, at 3:35 PM  

  • Stephen-Thank you for stopping by.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 4:05 PM  

  • Geek-oid, you are my heroine.

    By Blogger Joy, at 9:13 PM  

  • Joy, I did not know being a geek was a good thing.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 1:45 PM  

  • It looks like my mortgage calculator.

    I wondered if I explained the acid free and lignin elements of scrapbooking to you, you'd take an interest in it. LOL

    By Blogger Michelle, at 6:32 PM  

  • Naive, maybe if I took pictures or had something I wanted to take pictures of I might be interested.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 6:37 PM  

  • spin_doc1, if you were a guy i'd date you. i seriously like the nerdy types. :D b

    By Blogger Joy, at 10:01 PM  

  • Joy, if I had a date for everytime I heard that I would truly be a busy woman!

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home