A circle has too much symmetry

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Abandonment Issues

I am often found of saying, “You can’t let one fraction of your life define the rest of your life.” In spite of truly believing this statement sometimes it is very hard to follow. I have a lot of abandonment issues that stem from my childhood, justifiable so. My first memory of actual abandonment occurred when I was just four years old. I was grocery shopping with my mother at the local store, and I got separated from her. I wonder up and down each aisle for quite a time, and could not locate her. Eventually I panicked and started asking people, “Do you know where my mother is?” Of course this alerted the store managers, and after a finite time it was assured that my mother had left me at the store.

I don’t think she left me on purpose, she just forgot that I was with her. Just like she would forget that I was her daughter and not a female competitor for the affections of her husband. Even though my mother abandoned me at the store I was strangely calm. They asked me how to reach my mother, and I did not know my own phone number but I did know the phone number of my grandparents, who were promptly called and they came to retrieve me. Now this isolated incident is not enough to make one struggle with abandonment issue but it was just the start to the pattern of my life.

I always knew in my childhood if my parents were scheduled to pick me up after dance class that I was going to be forgotten. The pattern was always a little different, so I could not plan ahead. The most frequent is that I would wait in the dark and cold after class for an hour until they recalled that they were suppose to pick me up. However often times I would call after hours of waiting in the dark only to find them at home, and know that I had been truly forgotten. It was always an extreme shock when I walked out of dance class to find my parents waiting for me.

8 Comments:

  • Spinner,
    I work with kids and teens who deal with abandonment issues and so I know where you're coming from. It's tough and it hurts and I wish I could say something to take that hurt away. However, from what I've read in your blog, I see a strong, yet graceful, resilient woman, who is moving forward with her life and living it to the fullest.
    Joy

    By Blogger Joy, at 3:33 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 4:02 PM  

  • Joy,

    Thank you for your kind words.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 4:03 PM  

  • Reading this part of the story of you makes me thankful for the upbringing I had. Like Joy said, those experiences helped form wonderful the person you are now, and you're a person I'm glad to know.

    By Blogger i used to be me, at 6:35 PM  

  • I would never abandon you Spinner. You can't get rid of me that easily!

    By Blogger Michelle, at 10:50 PM  

  • Spin - The important thing for you to remember is that it wasn't about you; it was about them. I can tell you with certainty that normal parenting behaviour makes you value your child like a part of yourself. It does not make you forget your child. Never ever. So no matter who you were or what you did, it wouldn't have changed things one little bit; because it was about them rather than you.

    If I were to lose my son in a store I would be beside myself with worry. It has actually happened to me once, when he was 3 and walked off while I was tangled up trying something on. I realised he was missing the second I got my head free, and I tore off frantically looking for him. As the minutes passed my heart was racing, tears were streaming down my face and I thought I would vomit. THAT is a normal parenting response when a child is lost. Going home is NOT.

    As for failing to pick a child up on time - that is all about a lack of empathy. I would never do that to my son because I would never want him to feel scared or alone or abandoned. What he feels, I feel.

    You can't choose your relatives, Spin, but you can choose your friends. And you know you have plenty here. xxx

    By Blogger Imelda, at 9:45 AM  

  • Genius and Naive,

    My upbringing has also taught me to be independent, like change and most of the time strong. It isn't all bad.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 9:46 AM  

  • Imelda,

    Oh I know it is about them and not me. My mother still forgets she is a mother to my youngest brother who is only 12.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home