A circle has too much symmetry

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Today I am an Idiot

Yesterday near the end of the day I was given a huge project and high profile too. I felt flattered and up to the task. I felt flattered because after 6 short weeks I am getting the challenging and exciting projects instead of people who have been here much longer than I.

I have spent all of today finishing the project, and I have to say I have done a spectacular job until two minutes ago. The project is finished (in record time too) and ready to go out to all the VPs. I wrote the email briefly introducing the project and results; the entire who’s who of the plant was on the receiving end. Immediately after I hit the send button I realized that I did not actually attach the project to the email.

Yup I have had my extreme idiot moment of the day. I quickly started composing another email, but before I even started typing I had three emails complaining about the lack of the attachment.

My second email was identical to the first but I added a few choice comments in Spin Doc style, like:
Hello Everyone (again),
And
I have attached the draft (I promise I have this time)

Joy, I definitely win the idiot award today.

10 Comments:

  • OMG I do this all the time. But I'm never given important projects. We call it too quick to click disease.

    Because of the Document Management System at my office, I sometimes attached a completely irrelevant document in place of the one I need! Those are the days I flee to happy hour directly from work.

    By Blogger ZooooM, at 1:00 AM  

  • Ouch! And unfortunately there's never any time to use the retrieve mail back feature. I'll give you a gold medal for your DAM. How's that? :D

    By Blogger Joy, at 8:29 AM  

  • Zoom,

    If there was an edit undo button in life, I would still make the same mistakes only more of them.

    Joy,

    I thought you would appreciate it!

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 10:56 AM  

  • By the way - what's an "idoit"?

    By Blogger Smerdyakov, at 11:44 AM  

  • Thanks AC; it is nice to have you around to keep me downtrodden and insecure!

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 12:02 PM  

  • Anyone who hasn't forgotten to attach a file to an email lacks essential experience at overlooking details and making silly mistakes. They should try much harder to get their priorities in order. Imagine a life without the ability to apologize, clean-up after one's self, or empathize with others about life's little snags and bumps. Such a lonely isolated existence is not the life for me!

    By Blogger Theresa, at 3:36 PM  

  • Spinner-
    you know it girl!

    By Blogger Joy, at 5:50 PM  

  • Actually the mail program that I use ("kmail") has a very nice feature: whenever you attempt to send an e-mail where the text contains any of the words "attachment" "attached" (or a few more which I don't remember now, out of a user extensible list), but does not have any attachment attached, then it reminds you that you might want to attach the attachment before sending this out. So you are saying that makes me look less like an idiot? That was easy then.
    (Oh, and sorry for having been offline for months, I am really really overloaded with work and baby daughter and trying to find different work.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:59 PM  

  • Thanks for the advice, but it is a little too late to help me with this idiot moment! BTW I love my new job.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 4:14 PM  

  • Spin,

    Once again we're living parallel lives. I'm feeling for you, sista!

    By Blogger Imelda, at 1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home