A circle has too much symmetry

Monday, July 10, 2006

Sundays

Sunday is the day I spend with my youngest sibling. He is 13 years old, cute and very shy. Of course I am the cool, older sister, at least that is what I tell myself. I pick him up around lunchtime, take him to lunch and then usually we go golfing. I spend time with him in an attempt to give him something positive and uncomplicated in his life. I am not trying to be his mother, but given the huge age difference I am not sure that I am his friend either. In my mind I am providing a positive role model for him. I wish there was a man in his life that would do what I am doing, but since my family lacks positive male role models the job falls on me.

I think he enjoys his Sundays with me. I do tease him from time to time and my teasing has taken root. I tell him, “I know everything, just not all at once.” Yesterday during our conversation he asked me if I was smarter than Bill Gates. He was serious too! Some how I have convinced him that I am smartest person on the planet, it is kind of funny. I told him that Bill Gates was definitely luckier than me, but since I had never met him I couldn’t say whether he was smarter than I. The more time I spend with younger brother the more I gain from the encounter. On Sundays I do my good deed for the week and practice golf, it is a win-win situation for me.

9 Comments:

  • You're a good sister. Isn't it sweet he thinks you're the smartest person in the world, sounds like he idolizes of his big sis.

    By Blogger i used to be me, at 9:14 PM  

  • where did that "of" come from?

    By Blogger i used to be me, at 9:15 PM  

  • It is such a positive and inspiring post. I love it.

    By Blogger Ellen, at 1:07 AM  

  • Genius,

    I know! I wonder what other lies I have managed to fill his little head with.

    Ellen,

    You know me, I am not unhappy for long.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 9:19 AM  

  • Your brother sounds sweet Spinner and I'm sure that he adores you. :)

    By Blogger Joy, at 10:12 AM  

  • Joy,

    You missed the post when he ended up drinking so much he was sick all over the house!

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 10:17 AM  

  • This is so very cool. And I have my older brothers to thank for much of my learning that life isn't fair, you should laugh at yourself, and if you can help someone - DO IT. They are step brothers, and I'm positive that without them, I'd have been a shy(er) little disallusioned wannabe princess.

    I'm so glad you both seem to have such a good time with each other. You WILL appreciate it very much later on - and so will he.

    By Blogger ZooooM, at 10:56 AM  

  • Woops! I remember that post. LOL! My bad.

    By Blogger Joy, at 11:21 AM  

  • Zoom,

    I appreciate it now. He is going to spend the entire weekend with me in a few weeks and I think we are going to go to a water park!

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home