A circle has too much symmetry

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Critical

At times I am not intrinsically critical, for those of you who know me I did say at times… Until I am made aware of what is “correct” and what is “incorrect” I am oblivious to the faults in certain things. For example I was listening to “I belong to me” by Jessica Simpson and I really liked the song. This is the first Jessica Simpson song I have ever liked; I am just not a fan of pop. Back to the point, the Kid asked about what I am listening to lately and I told him. Of course he wanted to hear the song and his first comment was “She says Baby too much”. Now I have listened to this song a bunch and I couldn’t even remember her saying baby, but now that is all I hear! And she does say it too much and now the song bugs me. I probably would have never noticed the baby if he did not point it out.

In general I am a very critical person, I am critical of wine, food, music, entertainment and yes at times of people. Society claims that critical people are not nice and therefore I try to not be critical but I have found something that bothers me even more than critical people, it is non-critical people. When someone is non-critical I can’t help but think they have no opinions and they value nothing. If everything is totally acceptable, how do they determine what they really want or need? If all food is acceptable, do you have a favorite food? I feel that people who like everything have a hard time realizing when something is really special. If you are with someone who likes everything, are you special in their eyes or do they just like everyone?

3 Comments:

  • Being critical is fine. The only time I find it annoying is when it's tied to cynicism. Fortunately you're not like that ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:49 AM  

  • Whether you have a judgment or opinion about something indicates whether you care about it. It shows a certain passion and interest. For instance, I'll definitely give you an opinion about the flavor of an ale, but if you ask me how the Packers are playing this season, I'll change the subject and probably compliment you on your shoes or handbag. Likewise, Being critical isn't necessarily negative. You might be just as likely to judge something by it's strengths as by it's weaknesses.

    Nice post. It brings up some ideas that we often don't think about.

    By Blogger Theresa, at 10:08 AM  

  • Thanks Jean-Marc!

    Theresa,
    That is exactly my point, a lack of passion that leads you to think passion is lacking in all aspects of their lives.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home