A circle has too much symmetry

Monday, December 11, 2006

Dancing with Susan

Saturday night I went dancing with my youngest sister, Susan. Susan and I look like sisters, but our personalities are very different. I did my standard club act; I spent the entire time on the dance floor refusing to dance with other people. Once again a little crowd of men formed to watch me dance and shoot down potential dance partners. The middle of nowhere and DC have this much in common, though the dance floor in the middle of nowhere is much more crowded. I think this is because there are so few places to go clubbing.

Back to making my long story longer, Susan was asked to dance and was extremely happy too. Also a man bought her, her first drink and I think she felt like a princess when it happened. It was refreshing to see someone so happy about the simple things in life. I have never worried about people wanting to buy me drinks, even though it happens every time I go dancing. I almost always refuse. I told Susan to take the drink but not to go home with the man. Except I almost never take the drink, it is not like I am going to go home with the guy so why not take the drink? Am I too cynical? Is a drink really a drink or is accepting a drink an invitation to something more? What does a man expect when he offers to buy you a drink?

Later in the evening when she asked me how to get rid of him, I waited until she went to the bathroom profusely thanked the man in question for making my younger sister’s evening and then told him her age (14 years younger than him). He definitely understood and gracefully left to find someone closer to his age.

4 Comments:

  • ooh I am so mad, I had a post typed, hit send and it disappeared into oblivion. I'd heard rave about Mozilla Firefox browser but I have tons of trouble with it.

    I said: I have a younge sister named Susan too who I used to go danging with.

    Since I have not been single for 30 years I don't know what the etiquette is for accepting drinks but it would seem from your post that it might be perceived as an invitation to follow you around all night.

    By Blogger i used to be me, at 7:45 PM  

  • The bar culture has definitely changed a lot over the years. Unfortunately, because of the bad things that a few men do, we have to watch out for one another more than ever these days. It's good that you were keeping an eye on your sister so well.

    By Blogger Theresa, at 12:36 AM  

  • Genius,
    I am not sure of the etuquette either.

    Theresa,
    It is easy when to be the big sister when you are the big sister

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 10:31 AM  

  • I never accepted drinks either...I never knew what he might expect in return...and frankly, did not WANT to know!

    CHESNEYGIRL

    *the new beta blogger does not accept my password...???

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home