A circle has too much symmetry

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Parties

When I am laying in bed at night chasing the elusive dream land I come up with all sorts of things I want to write about. I have a seemingly endless supply of things to occupy my mind when I am trying to fall asleep and I think I will write about that tomorrow. The writing helps me clarify my thoughts and put my worries into perspective, than I go to work and work pushes every thing out of mind. It pushes out my cares, worries, thoughts, dreams, even my desires. Work is all that I see during the day and it takes me hours to unwind from it, and I love it. I love my job. However I have nothing to write about after work and won’t until I am too tired to leave my very nice bed.

I have a birthday coming up and no I could not keep it to myself. My mother called and asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I told her I wanted a party. One of the good things about my mother is her very strong desire to make me happy within her capabilities. Her capabilities include a big bank account and an enormous party house. In fact now I am a little afraid of the party idea, this might be a little bigger than I want, but I don’t have many friends so it can’t be that big.

My mother is a great party planner; my younger sister, Brittany, eloped a few years ago and when we (I was there) returned from the marriage my mother threw her a wedding celebration party. Brittany was young enough at the time to want a full blow out, no linens and crystal for her. My mother sent up commercial sized beer coolers all over the yard, 2 full stocked bars and an incredible band. At one time I was sitting on the under the canopy on the lawn with some of my family members and I looked over to the pool and exclaimed “I think they are naked” I was just drunk enough to appreciate the antics but not so drunk to join in. I ran over to the pool and sure enough the people in the pool were naked, from the pool I could see the basketball court where there were at least 4 couples in various stages of it getting on. If MTV had known about that party they would have been there.

Another great party planned (and paid for) by my mother was my PhD celebration. We had linens, crystal, flatware and smoky single malts. It was a great party. In addition she rented out a floor of the hotel for the party attendees and no one had to drink and drive. It was swanky enough that I felt comfortable inviting all my professors and advisors, and fun enough that my friends had a riot. The party ended ~ 10 hours after it started, though I bowed out at the Cinderella hour. My BAW at the time drank so much that he decided to walk home and finally came to miles from the party which was only a mile from his house still in his suit but minus his shoes. To this day we can’t figure out where he shoes went. Wow after all the bad things I say about my mother, I do have one good thing to say; she really knows how to throw a party.

5 Comments:

  • Wow! I love parties!! Especially the kind you described here.
    Can I come to your birthday party?;)

    In all my life I've only had ONE birthday party...the year I turned 14.

    By Blogger chesneygirl, at 10:48 AM  

  • Wow, do you think your mother would mind throwing me a party? That'd be awesome.

    I sympathize with the writing thing. I signed up for NaNo all confident and what have you--lasted all of four days before I realized between work and theatre, I didn't have the time. And now I hear my English PhD mother in my mind, "MAKE time, Izzybella."

    Oh, and welcome back. Hope you enjoyed the trip.

    By Blogger Izzybella, at 12:22 PM  

  • Chesney Girl,

    Sure how far are you from the middle of nowhere? The party is in 8 days.

    Izzy bella,

    Thanks, and your mother gives good advice too.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 6:19 PM  

  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. This has nothing to do with your post, I just had to say "I found you." See, I must have had a dead link to your old blog? I had no idea you were still updating and had a new blog?? Anyway. Found you again. Will start catching up.

    By Blogger ZooooM, at 12:44 PM  

  • Zoom,

    I didn't move. I did update, blogger did not give me a choice.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home