A circle has too much symmetry

Friday, September 21, 2007

Ice Hockey

In my insatiable desire to stay busy all the time and to maintain a good physique I joined an ice hockey team. Now some of you might remember that I have played hockey before, floor hockey, but this whole ice skating thing is new to me. I am here to tell you that it is MUCH harder than it looks. It is nothing like skiing either. I play a lot of sports and I thought some of that talent would carry over to the ice but I was so wrong. I don’t think I have every truly sucked at something as much as I suck at skating. And go figure, skating is a huge factor in playing ice hockey. I have watched people skate and now that I have gingerly pushed myself across the ice and landed flat on my arse, I can’t imagine how people ice skate. I am thinking it is magic. I am serious, I have no mind/body awareness when it comes to the ice unless you count my body sprawled awkwardly across the ice.

It is an all women’s team which has its good and bad parts. I can’t flirt/charm my way out of sucking. I can’t flash a smile or make a racy remark and be forgiven for my lack of ability because I am just so darn cute. I also enjoy the company of women over the company of men. It is much easier to talk with women. The women are not as forgiving of my complete inability to skate. Another good thing is I have sworn off men and not playing sports with them is a good start.

5 Comments:

  • I am the least athletically inclined person you'll ever meet but I've thought it would be fun to take up a sport. I never will though, because I'm too old now to have the cuteness factor working for me on a coed team and usually those women's teams are so out for blood I'd never be able to keep up.

    I bet you'll be a pro in no time with your determination.

    By Blogger i used to be me, at 9:08 AM  

  • Genius,

    I am not a spring chicken anymore. I also doubt I will be pro ever, seriously I am terrible.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 10:26 AM  

  • Don't feel bad, I can ice skate either. At all.

    By Blogger chesneygirl, at 5:07 PM  

  • I've never tried ice skating and apparently never will. I messed up my knee rollerskating in my 20's, I'm pretty well past all that now.

    By Blogger Rainwolf, at 10:49 PM  

  • Chesney Girl and Rain Wolf,
    My coach makes me feel like an complete fool on the ice. I can see ice hockey become like golf, something I hate but I am not going to let it beat me.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home