A circle has too much symmetry

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Appointments

Why is there is so few female gynecologists? I have put off getting that annual exam for many reasons but now I am ready to get an exam and I can’t. These are my requirements in order of importance:

1. The doctor MUST be female
2. The doctor accepts my insurance
3. The person doing the exam has a MD, which is it self is not assurance they are qualified but I taught physics for pre-med students and I have been terrified of all medical providers since. The idea of a nurse practitioner diagnosing me scares me even more than a MD.

So with that list of requirements I set out to make an appointment today, to no avail. All the female doctors within a 70 mile (yes 70 miles) radius are completely booked and only taking pregnancies. All the men at the clinics were available, which makes me wonder what kind of man is a gynecologist? Seriously, I can’t wrap my mind around it. Of all the medical disciplines, why would a man choose gynecology? Oh and how much can one expect HIM to truly understand about the female body? I can just see myself responding to a comment like “This won’t hurt” or “You will feel a slight discomfort” and saying “How in the hell would you know?”

6 Comments:

  • You could make an appt. with my new ob/gyn here. She meets 2 of your requirements at least and she came highly recommended. I haven't seen her yet, my appt isn't until next month.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:29 AM  

  • Is it in a 70 mile radius?

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 8:36 AM  

  • THANK YOU!!! I have always said and thought the same thing about men GYN's.
    Which is why I have ALWAYS seen a female. And I heart her.

    By Blogger chesneygirl, at 11:08 AM  

  • Chesney Girl.

    And it is creepy too, I think prevert everytime I see a male GYN.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 8:16 AM  

  • What about Planned Parenthood? They normally have female gyns and they accept money on a sliding scale.

    By Blogger Buttercup, at 6:34 PM  

  • If you lived in this area, I'd refer you to mine. Even if he is a man. He's just awesome. He never tells me something won't hurt; he warms the instruments that need to be warmed; and after he does the exam, he goes to his office. Then I get to get dressed and go talk to him in his office, sitting on a chair, like a real person, not just a gaping maw lying on my back on a steel table.

    By Blogger Faith, at 1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home