A circle has too much symmetry

Friday, October 05, 2007

Protection

I am finally starting to get geared up for hockey which is not an easy or cheap task. I bought ice skates, hockey socks and something called a pelvic protector. It does not require any stretch of the imagination to picture a pelvic protector. It is a V shaped piece of plastic, an insert to a pair of biker shorts. The shorts are equipment with a nice little pouch where the insert goes. So imagine me in a locker room full of seasoned hockey players putting in my insert.

I opened the little pouch on my shorts and started sliding the cup (an appropriate term) into place when; Wow stop the press it was touching my stuff! Not just touching it, up close and personal and very distracting. I immediately moved the cup off my stuff; it is a pelvic protector (it says so right on the package) and not a stuff protector. Noticing my embarrassment a well meaning teammate instructs me that I have not placed it correctly. Apparently the cup needs to go over the stuff a lot farther down than I had it; and it is right up close and personal to my stuff with only a thin layer of material between it and me. I am not sure how to ask my teammates about the intimate contact the cup is making with my stuff and how my normal movement causes relative motion between the cup and my stuff and seriously how to stop it. I still have not figured out how not to wind up sprawled out on the ice when I stop or turn and now this distraction.

Hockey is a lot harder than it looks.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home