A circle has too much symmetry

Friday, September 28, 2007

A terrible story

Yesterday I heard of a story of a young woman who went to an all male college dorm and knock on the first door, upon entering the women offered her sexual services. According the narrator she then moved onto the next door, at this point I absolutely refused to hear anymore of the story. I am not by any definition prude or naïve but this story really upset me. It upset me because if it was true I immediately thought of the childhood that she had to endure to get to that state. I thought of the horrors out there that are capable of destroying this woman’s sense of self. I also know that they do exist and many children are forced to live in a nightmare. I also know that if something doesn’t destroy you it does not make you stronger, it makes you broken.

This woman was broken and I can not revel in her misery. I can’t hear the manifestations of the brokenness. It also made me acutely aware of how truly unfair life can be. It is unfair that childhood can break someone and it spirals into uncontrollable self-destruction. It is unfair that someone can break you but only you can fix yourself.

4 Comments:

  • Wow. That very last sentenc is so true... I had never thought of it that way.

    Sad.

    By Blogger chesneygirl, at 1:14 PM  

  • Chesney Girl,

    Most people don't and are so quick to judge.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 9:17 AM  

  • it is very hard to put yourself back together after being broken. this i know and your last statement is all too true.

    By Blogger soleil, at 7:36 PM  

  • Soleil,

    As I said it is not fair.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home