A circle has too much symmetry

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Baby Benedryl

I am a complete and total space case! Do all remember when I was complaining about having no free time because too many house guests? Well in that blog I mentioned that I was going to have another guest soon, in fact tomorrow! I was driving home from dance class last night when I get a call from M. I immediately thought wow I wonder what is wrong, because she only calls me when something is wrong in her life. This is how the phone call went:

“Hi M. Is everything okay?

“Yeah, I just wanted to get directions to your house before I head out tomorrow, because my dad does not have a computer.”

I immediately do the OH SHIT dance in my brain, because it hits me that I am about to have another house guest and I totally forgot the M was coming to DC this weekend. I give her directions and briefly discuss arrival times and such. When the phone call ended I started thinking about all the plans I have made for this week and weekend that I am going to have to alter. Then the real OH SHIT moment hits me, it is not just M. that is coming to visit, it is M. and her son that will be here. I have to toddler proof my house! I do not know how to toddler proof anything. I am not even sure what a toddler can and can not get in to. I do not have the natural mother instinct that some women seem to have. I have NEVER changed a dirty diaper. I have nightmares about being a mother and totally forgetting that I actually have a child. Over the years people have asked me about when I plan on having children, and I always reply the same, “Never.” When I was younger they would smile to themselves and give me that look (you know the one) and they would say:

“Oh just wait until you are older, and then you will change your mind.”

Now that I am older they don’t give me that little smile with that secret look. Now when I reply, never, they look at me like I am an alien (just for the record I am not an alien). So this weekend I will play hostess to M. and her child, I wonder if I should buy some baby Benedryl?

2 Comments:

  • You know one of the reason I forgot M. was coming this weekend is that she can be a flake, and until she actually arrives I won't be sure she is coming to visit.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 2:06 PM  

  • Well the first thing the baby did upon arrival is destroy my cds, but hey I can arrange them another again.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home