A circle has too much symmetry

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Where are all the women?

I have heard a crazy statistic since coming to the DC area, apparently the number of available single women out number the number of single available men 3 to 1. I was unable to confirm this statistic, but for the moment let’s assume it might be true. Note: This is statistic does not hold at my workplace, mainly because the sheer number of men out number the women, 25 to 1, regardless if you are single or not. So here is my dilemma, I have very few female friends in the DC area. In fact I have two, Courtney who is leaving the country for the next month and Jeanne who works and travels more than I do. I do have many male co-workers and a few male friends, but I would like more female friends. I recently read an article where the author stated

“Men benefit more from cross-sex friendship than women

There are proven--and apparent--distinct differences between female friendship and male friendship. Women spend the majority of their time together discussing their thoughts and feelings, while men tend to be far more group-oriented. Males gather to play sports or travel or talk stock quotes; rarely do they share feelings or personal reflections. This may explain why they seem to get far more out of cross-sex friendship than their female counterparts.

In Sapadin's study, men rated cross-sex friendships as being much higher in overall quality, enjoyment and nurturance than their same-sex friendships. What they reported liking most was talking and relating to women--something they can't do with their buddies. Meanwhile, women rated their same-sex friendships higher on all these counts. They expect more emotional rewards from friendship than men do, explains Sapadin, so they're easily disappointed when they don't receive them. "Women confide in women," notes blieszner. "Men confide in women."”

Unfortunately I have found this to be true. Where are all these fabulous single women in the DC area? Or should I count myself lucky that I am surrounded by so many men?

3 Comments:

  • Hi Spin Doc! Here's a chart showing age/gender stats for DC.

    http://www.city-data.com/housing/houses-Washington-District-of-Columbia.html

    As you see, there are far more women than men in the 18-30 age range, although this chart doesn't include single/married status, but at 30 it evens out a bit for a while.

    So - yes, you could actually consider yourself lucky to be surrounded by men! I have tons of women friends, and only a few male friends, of whom I wish there were more ... but the cool single girls are out there ...

    By Blogger dksjdlkjfsaa, at 12:35 PM  

  • DHD,

    Thank you, but I don't see the 3 to 1 ratio.

    The women around here have a saying, the odds are good, but the good are odd.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 4:52 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home