A circle has too much symmetry

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Gedanken Experiments

Today I received an email from Marge, who is one of most amazing women I know. She is a wonderful mother, wife and friend. Yet she is totally miserable because she is not as rich as some of her friends. Would having a million dollars make her happy? Does money buy happiness, or at least the right kind of misery? Would I be totally and completely happy with a lot of money? That is the Gedanken experiment for the week! If I (and you) won the lottery what would I do with the money? I am not talking about a little lottery either I am talking about the “BIG” one. Oh let’s make a list!

Buy a Chanel Purse

Learn to play the piano

Hire a personal trainer

Hire a personal cook

Buy a fabulous house

Vacation around the world

Buy a super cool car

Oh and buys tons of shoes, clothes and jewelry

The list could go on and on, but this is where it gets more difficult. After I shopped myself out (which COULD happen) then what? Do I really want to spend the rest of my life shopping, traveling and eating fabulous food? I do want to do those things but only those things? Do I want more from life? Do I want a family? A career? I think I need to brain storm a little more…..

And what would you do if you won the lottery?

5 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Nades, at 6:37 PM  

  • I would live almost the same life as before,
    but worry less.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:40 PM  

  • this is a question I ask myself a lot. I'm not sure why because I don't buy lottery tickets anymore. But here goes...

    and these are in order.

    Quit my job. Buy a car that can get me to the mountains safely with good gas mileage. Buy a condo in San Francisco, close to where I live now. Buy my parents a place where it's warmer so they can get out of Spokane during the cold months. Get all my close friends out of debt. Then I'd go buy a place with beachfront property probably in Maui. Start reading all the books I've always wanted to read and haven't got a chance to yet, interspersed with flying my friends out and drinking heavily with them. After awhile start traveling the world. And every once in awhile heading back to my place in SF so my friends can bring me down to earth.

    And keep on repeating. Maybe somewhere in there find a girl I'd like to spend the rest of my life with.

    By Blogger Nades, at 6:44 PM  

  • I would buy the TT I always wanted and only wear Armani. Duh...

    I would quit my current job, or just do it as a hobby. I would ask all those questions I always wanted to ask, may they be stupid or not pc. And if people would get upset about me asking non pc questions, I would have a placid smile on my face.

    I would take film classes, learn how to write scripts and make my own movies, fiction and non-fiction. I would by the best equipment and I would make documentaries about everybody I met and who turned out to be important or entertaining for me.

    I would do something where I would meet a lot of different characters and if money could buy it (and I don't mean by the intake of vast amounts of alcohol), I would become less shy and I would get to know all these people.

    I would visit my friends in the States and Europe more often. I would build a retreat somewhere nice, and all my friends and my family would be invited to stay there as long as they want to, talking, drinking, partying/dancing etc. (because music makes the people come together) I myself would have a house/apartment in Rome, New York, San Francisco, London, Lisbon, and in Hamburg. I also would have the exact same type of small bar in each of these places. And every bar would have a small indoor balcony from which I can watch the crowd...

    By Blogger Ellen, at 4:10 AM  

  • 1. freeze my eggs so my legacy could live one.

    2. boob lift or reduction.

    3. $5,000 to the bum who resides outside my building holding the frisbee. he is humble and he deserves it.

    4. buy a vacation home on the east coast so my friends and family can enjoy.

    5. stockpile the rest while i find a cushy 15 hour a week volunteer job that makes me feel good about my purpose in life.

    6. buy myself an ipod.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home