A circle has too much symmetry

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

My Territory

Monday night I went to dinner with some people from work, among the attendees was the Kid. Now I have no intention of being more than just friends with the Kid, but I feel like he is mine. Another woman at the dinner started making moves on my territory and I was and still am upset. At dinner she was openly flirting with the Kid and being hostile to me. The Kid and I were not “together” at the dinner we just happened to sit next to one another and shared an appetizer. We do work together every day all day. This woman was challenging my position as alpha female with the Kid and it really upsets me. I felt like the wolf marking my territory and the Kid is part of my territory.

Yesterday at work she sent him two invitations to parties this weekend, one of them a party she is hosting on the same night as my Birthday party. She knows that I am having a Birthday party on Saturday (she is not invited), what is she thinking inviting the Kid to her house on the same night? I so want to say catty things about her to the Kid. I am not having a rational response to this woman taking an interest in the Kid. I should encourage the Kid with this woman, since I am never going to be more than his friend. I do hate the idea that I might be replaced in his affections by this woman, but he really should focus his energy on someone who will return his affections.

4 Comments:

  • She sounds tenacious and assertive, like the kind of woman who goes after what she wants. Under different circumstances, you might admire those qualities in another person.

    Personally, I admire YOU for striving to be honest and aware of your feelings.

    I can't wait to hear how you decide to handle this.

    By Blogger Theresa, at 6:31 PM  

  • Theresa,

    I am probably going to ignore it, that is what I do best.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 5:00 PM  

  • It won't be easy, but if you let him figure her out on his own he's less likely to run to her because he knows/feels it gets you wound up. Angry attention can sometimes feel just like the attention you wanted from the person in the first place - so if you let her get to you, he might run with it.

    Sometimes life gives us the suck like this. But it makes the good times all the better.

    Zoom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:25 AM  

  • Zoom,
    You are right, of course. I have not said a word about her, I have not even asked. Though it is silly considering that I am never going to be more than the Kid's friend.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home