A circle has too much symmetry

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Prom Dress

I was a very beautiful child, seriously. My mother took great pains to make sure I was always primed and primped for various occasions. She enrolled me in dance lessons at the very young age and also had me competing in beauty pageants too. I am not sure why but I was born with an extremely rebellious streak and HATE people telling me what to do, this streak started very early and so I absolutely refused to dress “girly” when I had any choice in the matter. This anti-girly streak lasted well into my adult years too. However deep inside me I am a girly-girl and have always been and this hidden girly-girl desire was passivated many times in my life but today I was thinking about my senior prom.

I was estranged from my mother during most of my high school years and as a result of the estrangement I was financially cut off too. I don’t know why but my mother decided to help me pay for my prom dress. She took me to Las Vegas to shop for a dress and we found the most beautiful dress. We located it at Neiman Marcus, an original and super expensive by anyone’s standards and she bought it for me. Of course I was supposed to pay her for half of the dress but she forgave the debt later too.

I arrived at my senior prom, and I am not embellishing here I had most beautiful dress on. I had on a red carpet, Hollywood dress and I felt like I was the most beautiful women at the prom. In all honesty I think I was the most beautiful woman there too. All these years later it still is one of the best nights of my life and all because of the dress. I still have that dress though there is no physical way I will ever fit into it again.

I wrote this in an effort to repair my relationship with my mother. I have spent a vast majority of my life being angry with my mother, and though she has many faults I can no longer blame her for all my personal faults. I guess it is time for me to grow up and claim accountability for the person I am.

5 Comments:

  • Wow! Las Vegas? How classy and fabulous is that!?!?!

    I only went to prom once. My freshman year. I hated it...which is why I never went again. But I loved my dress too...I felt like a princess in it. I still have mine too, but there isn't a chance in hell I'll ever fit into it again...it's a size 3. Ugh.

    btw, I just blogrolled you! :)

    By Blogger chesneygirl, at 11:19 AM  

  • Chesney girl,

    Thanks for the roll! That sounds so dirty I feel like snickering like a kid now, he he.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 11:37 AM  

  • Only a truly striking and powerful beauty could have written such an insightful post.

    By Blogger Theresa, at 1:22 PM  

  • Theresa,

    One step at a time, tomorrow I might rant and rave about how completely crazy she is.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 2:26 PM  

  • Spin,
    Like you've I've come to grips with my mom's insane tendencies and have held much anger towards her. As an adult, however, I've been able to gain alot of insight and perspective on my mom's ways and even my own personal faults. I thought I'd never actually say this, but my mom and I have become much closer. I have hope for you and your mom's relationship.

    By Blogger Joy, at 10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home