A circle has too much symmetry

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Ramblings

I am traveling again in a week and I don’t know if I will have internet access while abroad. Did I mention that I love my job? In case you have forgotten I really do love my job, I just wish it wasn’t in the middle of nowhere. Though the eternal pessimist in me can’t help but wonder if it is really this place that is so fabulous or is industry in general just that much better than academia? Granted my last academic position was the position from hell, but I can’t help but wonder if all academic positions suck. Talking with my friends still in academia it sure seems so, but the people who left my former work place are much happier now too.

I wonder if I would be this happy in any industry position and if so then I should look for one in a more metropolitan area. The company I work for treats me great and the work I do is really cool too. Granted I miss the intellectual challenge of academia on some sick and twisted level. I really miss the lab too, but not on some sick and twisted level. I am hoping to get some lab space and time here, it is in the “works”, and I can’t help but feel loyalty to a company that is willing to give me everything I ask for.

Oh the co-workers are fabulous too! The Kid turned 25 yesterday and there was cake. In fact there is still cake. I have eaten 3 pieces today. There was also cake on my birthday and pastries and lunch. The Kid and I have signed up for ski lessons, though I will only be able to attend the first week (I will be out of town for 3 weeks).

5 Comments:

  • It's really great you love your job, it'd suck to have to be in a place everyday you hated to be...and you get to travel!

    By Blogger i used to be me, at 7:12 PM  

  • It is great that you love your job. I love mine too.

    Can I ask what it is you do? Or is that something you prefer to keep private. If so...understandable :)

    But maybe I know of a position here...ya know, in a more "metropolitan area" ;)

    By Blogger chesneygirl, at 9:26 PM  

  • Have you thought about looking for a job in Philly? Definitely metropolitan. :) Have fun on your trip!

    By Blogger Joy, at 9:28 PM  

  • I recently made a job change too and after a few fitful days, I've settled in to happy work days again. It's not without it's crap, but overall I made a good move and made an already good life that much better. It's always nice when that "ok, it's safe" thing happens after a new job.

    Have a great trip!

    By Blogger ZooooM, at 11:02 PM  

  • Genius,
    I have a love/hate relationship with traveling. I love it when I get there but I hate planes and airports.

    Joy,
    I am not looking right now.

    Zoom,
    Thanks.

    By Blogger Spin_Doc1, at 10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home